RTD on output of chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODtony

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question that might be over the top on. I was thinking of putting a T connector on the output of my plate chiller, and attaching an RTD to give me a readout on my PID. Is this just overkill? Or can I get better bang for my buck elsewhere? I was just thinking about getting my wort temps consistent so I can reproduce a quality beer.

This is similar to what I am planning to do on my new system. Instead of getting a separate PID, when I am ready to cool, I plan on just unplugging the MLT rtd from the control panel and plugging in the rtd from the chiller to the control panel. Later I might add a temp display rather than a PID since it will just be a readout and not actually control anything. I figure it will be easier to watch a digital display then keep checking something down low where my chiller is.

This is similar to what I am planning to do on my new system. Instead of getting a separate PID, when I am ready to cool, I plan on just unplugging the MLT rtd from the control panel and plugging in the rtd from the chiller to the control panel. Later I might add a temp display rather than a PID since it will just be a readout and not actually control anything. I figure it will be easier to watch a digital display then keep checking something down low where my chiller is.

Well there a pros and cons to both ways. If you've got the temp display on your panel, you'll still need to be going down there to adjust the output to get the right temp you want. You'll then be straining yourself to see the temp display up on your panel and adjust the valve at the same time. With time and consistent tap water temps, you might be able to dial in a location on your valve though.

May something to control the flow speed on the panel? Potentiometer?

November - Thats exactly my plan. Just plug it into my same PID I will use to monitor my mash.

rgauthier20420 - I brew with a buddy or 2 most of the time so luckily I'll have extra hands to help me control the flow. But I do like the idea of less work and the potentiometer:cross:. Do you know of any electrically controlled variably adjusted valves? I think you could probably use that on the sparge as well.

November - Thats exactly my plan. Just plug it into my same PID I will use to monitor my mash.

rgauthier20420 - I brew with a buddy or 2 most of the time so luckily I'll have extra hands to help me control the flow. But I do like the idea of less work and the potentiometer:cross:. Do you know of any electrically controlled variably adjusted valves? I think you could probably use that on the sparge as well.

I've looked around and can't find a simple temp display for this purpose that is any cheaper than a cheap PID. If the PID is only used as a display I don't see the need for a nice quality Auberins unit.

It could be very useful for both of those applications. I know it's doable, but I don't have the knowledge of how to explain or get it done :drunk:

I have a basic auber temp pid 1/32 din iirc. This hooks to an auber RTD probe with a TC fitting that will attach to an instrument t on the exit of my counter flow. Just need to find a welder to weld on the TC to the counter flow and I will be in business. I have good vision so I'm not worried about not being able to see the display when I adjust the water flow.

I use children to adjust the flow, but there could be a way to automate it further. From my research, you would need to use a proportional electronic valve like the ones made by Belimo and a PID that does current output. That's what Google tells me at least, this is way out of my level of understanding on this stuff.

I used the same set up as Kal does for the mash tun on my chiller: with the 1/2" tee, RTD and ball valve on my counter flow chiller output. Then hook up the RTD to my mash input to monitor my outgoing wort temp on my panel. Then I'll recirculate back to the boil kettle until I get out going temp where I'm shooting for.

will plugging in an PT-100 probe into my PID I use for mash effect my auto-tune? will the pid be trying to fire the burner because the temp will be well below my set temp? can you Put the pid into a temp display only mode?

-=Jason=-

Back