Recipe Critique: Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeman9182

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my first porter, figured I'd post the recipe I have sketched out so far, and any and all feedback is welcome.

10lbs 4oz Maris Otter
1lb White Wheat Malt
1lb Crisp Dark Crystal (77L)
12oz Crisp Chocolate
8oz Crisp Brown Malt
4oz Crisp Black Barley

Single infusion mash @ 154 degrees.

1oz Challenger (8.2%AA) @ 60 minutes
.25oz EKG (5%AA) @ 60 minutes
.5oz EKG @ 20 minutes
.25oz EKG @ flameout

Wyeast 1968 (harvested from a mild I'll be bottling soon)

OG: 1.062
IBU: 37.5
ABV: 6.1%

The grain selection and percentages look solid. The only one that stands out is the brown malt. I'm not sure if you will really see much of a difference with that amount. It looks like about 4% of the grist? Mash temp, yeast, ABV all look like they relate well too. Looks like you are expecting just less that 70% attenuation?

The grain selection and percentages look solid. The only one that stands out is the brown malt. I'm not sure if you will really see much of a difference with that amount. It looks like about 4% of the grist? Mash temp, yeast, ABV all look like they relate well too. Looks like you are expecting just less that 70% attenuation?

Thanks for the feedback. As far as my attenuation/ABV, I'm just going off the projected 1.016 finishing gravity from Beer Smith. Wouldn't surprise me if it finished another couple points lower though.

Back