Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Jalapeno Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundowner

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
IBU 42.6
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Very well balanced for pepper flavor without going over the top.
This is my most requested beer from friends and family. It's very well balanced, which I believe is the key to brewing a good pepper beer. I've tried it with different styles but the cream ale base has always been the very best and will remain so. It has done well in the few competitions it was entered. Don't change the pepper type..No fiery habaneros...no serranos. If you want to use anchos, brew another style.

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked
1.00 lb Vienna Malt
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.00 oz Cluster [7.0%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%] (25 min)
1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%] (15 min)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min)
7.00 items Jalapeno pepper (Boil 15.0 min) see notes
Wyeast 1056 or a neutral dry yeast

Mash 150F-152F for 60 minutes

Notes

Slit, rinse & roast Jalapenos 20-30 minutes at 350F, slice and soak in Vodka overnight. Add 4 Jalapenos at 15 mins. Use left over Vodka for the hottest Bloody Mary you've ever had!. Add 2-3 more roasted jalapeno peppers to the secondary depending on how much pepper bite you prefer. Peppers vary from crop to crop so use 5-7 depending

I don't have access to any of the hops you have used are there any others you have used with good results in this beer?

Thanks
John

The bittering hops are the least critical in the recipe. I've used Northern Brewer and they work well. You could sub Hallertau or Crystal for the flavor and aroma. I think Mt Hoods would work too.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. My friends are aways buggin' me to brew more.

That was the first beer I entered in competition. I had only been brewing for about 2 months and it won a 2nd place ribbon. I used Nottingham dry yeast on the first one, but most any neutral yeast should do.

:mug:

I really want to brew a pepper beer and this recipe looks great. How does this beer go over for people that don't necessarily like spicy food. I love it but when I share, ie-fiance, how do you think it will go over for people with a weaker tongue?

I haven't tried this yet. I was supposed to transfer this to secondary this week but got busy. I plan on adding peppers to half of it and then compare the two. I'll report back as soon as I try it

I really want to brew a pepper beer and this recipe looks great. How does this beer go over for people that don't necessarily like spicy food. I love it but when I share, ie-fiance, how do you think it will go over for people with a weaker tongue?

FWIW, I've never had anyone tell me they didn't like this beer (even women). In fact, women tend to request it as much as men do.

As for the pepper heat...that's why I say 5-7 jalapenos. They vary in heat from crop to crop. It's best to taste them first to test the heat factor.

Regards

When do you remove the boiled pepper flesh? At flameout, or when you put it into a primary? I ask because I'd like to no-chill something like this.

AND aren't the IBU's high for a cream ale? Or do the peppers offset the sensation of bitterness?

When do you remove the boiled pepper flesh? At flameout, or when you put it into a primary? I ask because I'd like to no-chill something like this.

AND aren't the IBU's high for a cream ale? Or do the peppers offset the sensation of bitterness?

Yes, the IBU's are a little high for cream ale, but it seems to work well. I'm sure the peppers have something to do with that.

I don't see a problem with no-chill. I would just leave the peppers in while it's chilling. I would not add those to the primary, but I would add a few to the secondary.

Now if you don't use a secondary, you could add the additional peppers to the primary as long as fermentation is done.

This beer turned out very good. I can see brewing this again in two ways. As a jalapeno cream ale I'd add more peppers I was expecting more heat from it. I will also brew it as a cream ale and dial back all three hop additions by about 25%

Recipe is definitely a winner a great base line for experimentation!

Thanks
John

Whirlfloc comes in tablet form and is basically just a souped up version of Irish Moss. They both help clarity in beer. I use whirlfloc but Irish Moss will do also...

I just finished the starter for this and will be brewing this on Wednesday as my very first all grain batch. I took the day off from work....I hope it'll be worth it. From the reviews; I will not be disapointed I'm sure.:D

Brerwed and bubbling away in the fermenter. I missed my strike temp so I had to add additional hot water to the mash. Other than that snaffuu everything went well. The brewing program I use gave me a Brew House Efficiency of 70% but right below that on the excel screen it gave me an Actual Mash Efficiency of 81%.:confused: Can anyone, please, tell me the difference between the two?

I made a Serrano Blonde and it was quite spicy. I am thinking next time I will go for a Jalapeno.

My Serrano Blonde was 1 Serrano pepper (roasted, chopped, then frozen for 24 hours) in a one gallon secondary for the trial batch. Base recipe was BM's Centennial Blonde.

I upped the jalapeno amount in the recipe since the two I was brewing it for requested it "hotter". 7 in the boil and I'll add 6 to the secondary..... I hope it's drinkable

I racked to secondary yesterday. SG was 1.004 giving me an abv of 6.1%. It's a little high for the style but I'm not complaining. I tasted it and there is just a slight warmness at the back of the throat. I'm concerned about the additional 6 peppers added to it but the guy I brewed it for said make it hotter. So.....hotter it will be. I'll taste it again in another 30 minutes or so and again everyday until it's just too damn hot. Then I'll pull the peppers.

The peppers are definately warming this brew up. Lasting warmth at the back of the throat. I really don't think that the peppers will stay the full 10 days till I keg. 3-4 days may be the hottest I can handle... We'll see.

Anyone else tried this recipe?

I kegged this on Saturday and force carbonated it at 30# CO2 until about 30 minutes ago. I released the CO2 and put 12# on it to give it a try. It was absolutely phenomenal!!! Great head, excellent lacing and the taste was very, very good. I'm gonna keep this one as a regular. The burn at the back of the throat was pleasing...:mug:

I didnt do a cream ale, I used edworts haus pale for a base then tried to get the pepper flavor right.

I added a couple roughly chopped jalapenos to the last 5 minutes of the boil then 3 jalapenos, 1 tbsp of red pepper flakes, and a half a habanero to the secondary for about 2 weeks. the heat is perfect.

Extract,
I took a Brewer's Best Cream Ale, added nothing until second week in the secondary. I took about 5 jalapeno's sliced them up and added them to the secondary for a week. Have sampled 2 of them, but they need to sit for at least another week. So far very good!!! I have nothing else to compare them too, but it is a light, crisp, definitely hot beer. Perfect for chips and salsa.

Has anyone been bold enough to add the soaked vodka as well? All I can see it doing is boosting the alcohol and giving more of a kick. I tried a few drops and it is pretty decent.

I have just bottled a roasted jalapeno honey red ale and I was curious, for those of you that have experience with pepper beers, how does the pepper spice and flavor change with age in the bottle? Thanks for any info

i'm brewing this soon as payment for a friend.

do you roast the secondary peppers with the originals and let them soak in vodka while its in primary or?

I didn't. I did two different roastings.
I imagine it wouldn't matter one way or another.
Good luck on your brew.
This is a great one!

i'll try that then. seems most logical.

how many jalapenos did you add?

i have a random urge to throw in 0.50 lb C60 into the malt bill - what are your thoughts on that?

i'll try that then. seems most logical.

how many jalapenos did you add?

6, then 7. You'll be tempted to take the jalapenos out but don't do it. The resulting beer will have a distinct burn at the back of the throat.

i have a random urge to throw in 0.50 lb C60 into the malt bill - what are your thoughts on that?

I wouldn't but it's your gig. Play with the recipe if you like and fine tune it to your likes.

alright, i'll stick to it as written. altho i will have to scale everything up because i'm nowhere near that efficiency.

thanks for the input.

My batch took 2nd place in the Specialty category in the Ky State Fair. Thanks man, that means a lot to me considering this year the Sam Adam's comp. was category 23 :)

One question, Does this burn the ass the next morning when you drop a deuce....no joking, it's a serious question.

I made a habanero ale 2 years ago, almost too hot to drink.

10 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 10L

1 oz fuggles 30 min.

It was delicious, no ring burn after.

If you're a sensitive kind of guy, yeah a little burn. My next batch is going to be called Burning Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash), you either love it or hate it

gonna brew this tomorrow. huntsman you really used 6 in the boil? I think i'm gonna do 4, then 7 in the secondary.

Back