Brewed this one up today-Bass ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
What do you guys think?

Bass Ale Clone:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients

9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 94.74 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (90 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
0.75 oz Challenger [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
0.50 oz Challenger [7.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.75 oz Challenger [7.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.64 %
Bitterness: 37.5 IBU Calories: 199 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 2.97 gal of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 1.66 gal of water at 204.8 F 168.0 F

I'm not sure I agree with the choice of Challenger as the flavor/aroma hop. It has a sharp, sour flavor that won't be very similar to Bass. Well, in my opinion anyway. I'm sure it will be good though!

I believe Bass uses East Kent Goldings for finishing. Challenger will give it a different character but I'm sure you'll still like it!

Near as I can tell, modern Bass is brewed to different strengths depending on what the final package will be. Draught (and widget-can) Bass is brewed to an OG of 1.043, where bottled Bass is brewed to 5.1 ABV%.

At any rate, the grist is pale and caramel malts, probably with sugar to round out the fermentables. Hops are Challenger and Northdown. Me, I'd use a blend of both at all stages to round out the flavor. I can't definitively prove what hops are used, because bass.com is now devoted to some black & tan producing device instead of the quality of the ale. Idiots. :mad:

At the risk of gainsaying King Brian, while EKG are a fine choice as finishing hops for English ales, Bass is certainly not finished with Goldings. I can tell Goldings straight away, and there are none in Bass (at least the Bass available here in USA).

I think your grist is pretty well-designed. I'd go for 10% Crystal myself.

Cheers!

Bob

Bob, you're absolutely right. I just did a little looking around and it does seem that Bass uses only Challenger and Northdown, and in a single addition as well. Surprising, since I detect no hint of Challenger in the brew. Challenger has a sharp, almost harsh taste when added late in the boil so I guess they use little enough or boil it long enough that the flavor doesn't come through. I based my suggestion of EKG on the fact that almost every clone I've seen uses them.

Hi Guys,
I think that 37.5 IBU rating is way more bitters than commercial Bass. I'd probalby use a small single addition of Challenger for bittering (60 minutes) and then finish with Northdown for 3-5 minutes. Shoot for 20-22 IBU rating and I think it will be closer to the original.

Back