VA yeast state of emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerknapper

Reaction score
I'm living in VA and I have 2 batches fermenting a 5 gallon and a 3.5 gallon. Unfortunately with the storm knocking out the power and estimated power restoration being Thursday I'm concerned about my yeast in the 85-90 degree temperature in my house. My 5 gallon batch has been in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks so I think it'll survive, but my 3.5 gallon is a higher OG and has been fermenting for less than a week. When my power is restored and I get my house back to temp is my yeast going to survive and continue to ferment or should I pitch more yeast. I believe my OG was 1.1 and I pitched 2 packs or dry yeast.

85-90F is perfect temp for yeast, we dont used them at that temp because they produce off flavors at that temp but they would love it and you shouldnt worry about viability, taste of your beer is other problem but with week of fermentation there is not much sugar left so its very possible your beer will be fine as well (no sugar no fermentation no off flavors)

Back