Hops Experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kje

Reaction score
I'm just starting to formulate my own recipes, and I’m going to try an experiment with hops. I’m going to prepare enough wort to divide into three 2.5 gal batches (plan to yield 2.5 gal ea). I’m going to try a different hops schedule in each. I’ll probably do this as a partial mash to save time. When I pick a hops schedule, I’ll do a full (5-gal) AG batch.

When I pick a schedule, how do I convert the amount of hops from the small batch to the large? Do I need software like Beer Smith, or is the math simple enough?

Any other advice from your experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

I too have done hop experiments using the same recipe with different hops and schedules. I use beersmith but only to keep track of hop schedules and notes. I always brewed 10G batches but would sometimes split dry hopping between 2 ale pails. The only suggestion I can provide is to use a pale ale recipe with a neutral yeast so you can truly notice the nuances of different hops.

Back