High Mash Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
I brewed a stout about 3+ weeks ago and ended up with an OG of 1.044. After three plus weeks it is stuck at 1.018. I messed up the mash temp and mashed at close to 159-160 degrees. Could this have something to do with the fact that I am not getting down to where Beersmith says that I should be?(1.011)
note: I did all of the stuff to try to get the yeast working again - warmed it up, resuspended it, etc. Yeast - Wyeast Irish Ale

Correct. Your mash temps produced more unfermentable sugars and less ferementable sugars. Change the mash temp in beersmith to what you actually mashed at and it should give you a more accurate FG. I wouldn't worry to much though. It should still be a good beer

Agree with all of the above. If you really don't like a sweet stout, you can brew another batch mashing for attenuation (149-150 degrees) which should get you down to 1.010 or so and then just blend the two batches which will leave you somewhere in the middle.

That is at least part of your problem, but not necessarily all of it. Pitching rates and aeration/oxygenation could have also played their role.

There are so many factors that go into attenuation, the only way to really pin down problems is to brew, brew, brew and make small changes in your procedures. The benefit of this practice is getting to drink, drink, drink.

Thanks. My procedure was pretty much the same, pitching temp, areation, etc. The only thing that was different was the quite high mash temp. So, this time, I am going with that reason. But I will pay much closer attention to details and make better notes for all future batches. I have done about 6 AG batches so far.

I have a similar issue with my chocolate oatmeal stout. I mashed it at around 154 - 156 pretty steady...got a 1.031 OG ...now I just secondaried it took the FG at 1.010 ?? it's only a calculating at 2.7% alcohol from what the math. This is weak...why would that be...isn't that mash temp a pretty normal temperature...you can fluctuate your temp's to get different results for more sugars but I tried it and it just was kind of watery and weird but I think that is because I just pulled it off primary. So, it was probably needing to just sit in secondary for a week or two and relax off the main yeast and then when I add priming sugar and my chocolate flavoring to bottling bucket...I think, when it becomes carbonated it will lift the flavor... That is what I would think about your beer...once it lifts from carbonation and cures..it will pull out the flavor well...as far as attenuation or alcohol content...Try mashing low and raising it slowly while your extracting...that's what I'm going to do next time...Peace :rockin:

Back