New freezer compressor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoots

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed a chest freezer in my area, but it needs a new compressor. Anyone know what the cost would be? The freezer is a Magic Chef 7.2. I know I can do the repair, just not sure if it is worth it.

Thanks

When my 10 cu. ft. chest freezer crapped out, I turned it into a Koolerator for neighborhood brewfests. Keeps multiple beers cold for days.

2008Brewfest2.jpg

Oktoberfest-2008a.jpg

Oktoberfest-2008b.jpg

I just noticed a chest freezer in my area, but it needs a new compressor. Anyone know what the cost would be? The freezer is a Magic Chef 7.2. I know I can do the repair, just not sure if it is worth it.

Thanks

Not worth it. A new replacement compressor will probably cost about $300 plus the cost of the refrigerant and labor if any. You might be able to somehow cut that in half if you are properly connected, but even at that I would say it's not worth it. You can find plenty of used ones around for $50-100 and sometimes for free. I haven't paid for a refrigerator or freezer yet and combined I have seven of them running. Six for beer and one for food. Sometimes I eyeball the one I use for food and it gets really nervous!

Thanks. I will nt pursue this freezer. I would never have thought replacing a compressor would cost so much.

Latest posts

Back