Adventures in mixing commercial beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lan

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? I was enjoying a black and tan with a friend the other week and started thinking, why not try mixing together my favorite commercial brews and see what happens? Today I mixed Dieu du Ciel's Corne du Diable (a solid, generously hopped IPA) with Le Naufrageur's Saint-Barnabé (A dry stout with a great roasted malt profile). Results: Simply amazing! I can pick out elements of each beer, and at the same time, they seem to meld very well together. Up until now, I would have only considered drinking these separate from each other...it seems I may be drifting away from the 'Beer Purist' mentality and exploring more experimental territory. If anything, it also seems to allow for more creative approaches to home-brewing as well! I would recommend giving it a try sometime.

I used to bartend at a beer bar and we would try different blends. Stoudts Double IPA and Stoudts Fat Dog Oatmeal Stout work really well. We called it a Stoudts Stacker. However, I would say I'm usually a beer purest!

i tried mixing a chocloate bock with a cream stout.
it really didn't work.

there was a bar in wisconsin once that got a mix up order and got both Haams and Blatz kegs in. mixed = Blaams

Guinness will make a good black and tan with most lighter ales as a base, but I prefer it with Twisted Thistle IPA, and Rogue makes a nice blend with their Hazelnut Borwn and Chocolate Stout, beyond that I haven't ventured too far into blending yet.

I know DFH has also offered a few blends (Burton Baton comes to mind). I've made many a black and tan from various brews over the years, but never really varied from the stout/pale ale combination.

Try mixing New Belgium's Trippel and their Sunshine Wheat together. Called a Suntrip. Not bad. Brings an interesting new complexity not present in anything i've had.
I've had quite a few stouts (usually Guinness) mixed with different ciders also which is pretty interesting.
Tried a Hoegaarden mixed with a Lindeman's framboise, not bad, Lindeman's is usually too sweet for me, but this cuts it quite a bit to a good level (still sweet though).
Recently tried a firkin of 70% ipa and 30% apricot blonde from Dry Dock. Excellent!

Back