Using Beer to Start a Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I've read a number of threads where guys use the last inch or so of beer at the bottom of a Rouge to start a starter of Pacman. Could this principle be used for other beers, assuming they haven't been pasteurized? For example, if I was doing a red ale, could I grab a choice red and attempt to do this?

Anyone know, offhand, if either of the Young's stouts (in bottles) are pasteurized?

In theory, yes you can do this with any bottle that has sediment in it. However, the yeast strain in the bottle may not be the one that was used for primary fermentation. Trappist ales are notorious for using a different yeast to bottle with. Best way to find out if it's bottle conditioned is to buy some and look at the bottom of the bottle. For Science! :D

I think the word you're looking for is filtered, not pasteurized.
The Young's double chocolate is filtered.

Young's is noted for filtering and pasteurizing some of their brews. From what I gather, a fair number of imports are pasteurized to extend the shelf-life, or some such nonsense.

Wikipedia = unreliable. On their website, it says these are unfiltered/unpasteurized:

Real ales, such as Wells Bombardier, Young's Bitter, Young's Special and John Bull Finest Bitter can reach their full flavour potential, without filtration, pasteurization or the need for added gas.

It says some are pasteurized, but it doesn't say which.

Wikipedia = unreliable. On their website, it says these are unfiltered/unpasteurized:

It says some are pasteurized, but it doesn't say which.

The operative word there is "can," and no where does it specify their procedures for exports.

Wikipedia is reliable enough for cursory information. In any case, I thought it was Wikipedia I got that tid bit from. It must have been from elsewhere.

But do you think I'm pulling your leg or something? I was the one originally hoping they would be unfiltered and unpasteurized, but (unfortunately) found out they were both.

Latest posts

Back