Saison Brew, low boil temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free_Eagle

Reaction score
I have something to run by everyone. I picked up an extract kit from my LHBS yesterday and the guy that designed the recipe told me to boil (as it says in the directions) at 150 degrees. It just seems weird to throw boil and that low of a temp together. Has anyone mad anything by doing their boil at this or similar temp?? :confused:

Does the kit come with specialty grains? If so, they are probably intended to be steeped at 150F for around 30 minutes or so, then brought to a boil and add your malt extract.

The guy must have been confused. Under normal conditions, water won't boil at 150 degrees. He may have been thinking about steeping or mashing temps.

In any event, follow the similar process as your other brews. Go for it!

Well at this point I am not sure why I posted as I am cooling right now. The directions, read add dry malt, hops, etc:
img016.bmp

Yeah, those directions are pretty horrible :(
There really isn't such a thing as a "gentle boil at 150F"
You need to steep the grains at 150F for 30 minutes, remove grains, bring to boil, add malt extract, then boil for an hour with your different hop additions at times indicated.

Well lets go ahead and say I have the wort into the primary now, what do you think will be the final verdict from just steeping my DME and hops into it?

Well I just called the guy at the LHBS and he stated that is how he brewed the beer and the recipe is correct!?! So I guess I will follow up in two months when I find out how it turned out.

Well I just called the guy at the LHBS and he stated that is how he brewed the beer and the recipe is correct!?! So I guess I will follow up in two months when I find out how it turned out.

Well, I hate to tell you, but if you left it at 150 the whole time, and he told you that was correct, he's an idiot.

You're new and you'll learn that not everyone out there is right (trust me, I'm wrong a LOT!)

You will get beer out of this batch, but I guarantee you that steeping is not the way to go. You need a full rolling boil for beer.

Still, don't worry! You will make more. And if the recipe seems weird to you and doesn't follow what you've read in books (please read basic brewing books!) just ask. There's a lot of knowledge around these parts.

Yeah I am a little bummed out but whatever we will see what happens. I felt like I shoulda went with what I know but figured, and he stated, that it was like that for a reason. I'll let you know the yay or nay in a couple months.

i'm sure it will still be ok...i mean, it's pasteurized. you wouldn't have gotten the best utilization from the hops, tho, and may have extracted some tannins from the grains.

definitely let him know his directions are wrong and see what he says. looks like a typo (150°F put in wrong place) to me.

it may turn out ok, good luck!

Now that I have read it like 6 million times I notice he uses steep where boil would normally be and things. Lacking a bit of confidence in him now. Hey, beer is beer, it will be drunk. I steeped my grains like normal so the grains should of acted normally.

I think I am going to chock this one up to lesson learned. Take the ingredient kit, do what I know to do, or at least adjust the normal methods as I see fit to better the beer. I do not follow his fermentation processes anyway, as he says to rack to secondary in 3-5 days. I stick to my two week primary, two week secondary routine that has brought me to success in all my other brews. I do not know why I let him influence me off my ways. Back to my stubborn french canadian ways.

water doesn't boil at 150*F, it boils at 212*F at sea level. But, if you were brewing at the top of Mt. Everest, it would have been close to boiling. (156*F)

Latest posts

Back