homeBarbequeSauceTalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
OK, so maybe such a forum doesn't exist. But over the weekend, I ventured into making my own home-made barbeque sauce. It wasn't anything spectacular, but not bad for a first try.

Do any of you guys make your own Q? Wanna post some recipes?

What style of sauce? I'm guessing, by your location, that it's KC style (tomato-based, saucy, thick), rather than NC style (vinegar-based, liquidy). Right? We're typically NC-style folks. I have a good recipe for that, if you want it. I have made great KC-style before, though. I'll see if I can dig up any recipes.

How about a good dry rub recipe? I'm not a huge fan of barbeque sauce but I do enjoy a good dry rub. Here's the current version of the recipe I use, it's been in development for several years now:

1 C Brown Sugar
6 T Salt
2 T Chile Powder
1/2 T Garlic Powder
1/2 T Onion Powder
1/2 T Black Pepper
1/2 T Dry Mustard

My favorite target for this is a nice rack of baby back ribs but it also works well on pork shoulder steaks sliced real thin. I rub this on the ribs in good quantity the night before and then throw it on my charcoal grill for 4-5 hours over indirect heat.

The last time I tried this I cooked the ribs in the foil I refrigerated them in for the first 3 hours and then opened the foil for the last hour to get some browning. It was good, the meat was certainly tender, but it hadn't taken on much flavor from the grill which I really like so next time I'm going to cook it directly on the grill with a pan of water underneath to help keep it moist.

The one I made used:

2 cans of tomato paste
4 chipotles (from a can)
2-3 tbsp of honey
1/2 cup Oatmeal Stout
1/4 cup white vinegar
Cayenne pepper and chili powder to taste
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp dijon mustard

I blended
everything together, adding cold water until it blended smooth. Mopped it on some ribs that had cooked on the grill for about 45 minutes on each side, then cooked another 15 minutes. Not bad.

I love to Q! Have a smoker in the backyard that my parents hauled up for me from Uvalde, Texas. My favorite BBQ website is one of the first I ever found on the Internet called Barbecue'n On The Internet.

Here is a dry pork rub that I came up with. I always have a big shaker jar of it handy:

5 oz. kosher salt
2 oz. paprika
2 oz. dark brown sugar
1/2 oz. fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/2 oz. onion powder
1/2 oz. garlic powder
1/2 oz. cumin
1/2 oz. dried basil
1/2 oz. dried oregano
1/8 oz. celery seed

The night before I plan to smoke some pork ribs or pork butt, I rub them with yellow mustard, then apply the rub. I wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight. Makes for some mighty nice Q!

Cheesefood said:
The one I made used:

2 cans of tomato paste
4 chipotles (from a can)
2-3 tbsp of honey
1/2 cup Oatmeal Stout
1/4 cup white vinegar
Cayenne pepper and chili powder to taste
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp dijon mustard

I blended
everything together, adding cold water until it blended smooth. Mopped it on some ribs that had cooked on the grill for about 45 minutes on each side, then cooked another 15 minutes. Not bad.

Cheese, I'm assuming it's the little cans of tomato paste?

Cheesefood said:
I hate ketchup so I didn't want to make a ketchup based sauce.
I like ketchup, but it has its place...and it doesn't belong in BBQ sauce!

I'm curious to see the "from scratch" recipes here - I've never been successful at making a BBQ sauce from scratch better than the ones I can buy.

I did make a "cheater" sauce 2 weeks ago, and it was really tasty:

One bottle of Stubb's Original
1/2 jar of Pace Chipotle Salsa
1/4 cup cider vinegar

Combine and heat over medium-low heat just to a boil, stirring occasionally.

For a good roasty garlic flavor into the sauce take a couple heads of garlic, drizzle em in olive oil, and bake em on a cookie sheet or sit em in the grill on low heat on top of some foil until they are completely soft.

Let them cool enough to hold them in your hands. Grab the head, turn it upside down, and squeeze the hell out of it. Youll have a nice roasty garlic paste. Wonderful.

You can also wrap them in foil and put some onion slices or peppers in there too to flavor it a little more.

A basic one I like is a couple roasted garlic heads, some pineapple juice (with crushed pineapple too if you like), brown sugar, a little tomato paste (simmered with bourbon, chile powder, pablano, and cumin), a little salt and pepper, and (sometimes) a little lime.

As you can tell I'm at work without any cooking engineered specifics but that's the jist of it.

For a liquidy sauce opt out of the tomato paste and just simmer the pineapple juice, bourbon, brown sugar, pepper and powders a bit and add the garlic and a little crushed pineapple. It will turn a little candied the more you simmer it. Great for dipping meats into or glazing the last 5 minutes of grilling. WATCH IT though, this will char if you add it too early.

drouillp said:
For a liquidy sauce opt out of the tomato paste and just simmer the pineapple juice, bourbon, brown sugar, pepper and powders a bit...

Damn, that sounds tasty! :) I love to roast garlic, just like you described!

Yuri Rage said:
One bottle of Stubb's Original

One of my go to sauces, too. I've tried making my own before but, like you, I end up liking some of my favorite commerical ones better. Rendevous, Oklahoma Smokers, Gates', Robinson's, Bandana's, Stubb's and Maull's (not so great, too ketchup-y) are in my fridge right now.

Try a bottle of KC Masterpiece, Jack Daniels #7 sauce and a Kraft Hickory.

Pour all into a pot and add 1/2 cup of Honey or Molasses and 1/2 cup of whiskey or burbon. I like the Evan Williams as it has the strong flavor. 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1 tsp Cumin and 1 tsp Onion Powder.

Let this simmer until thickened, keep simmering until you see a glaze forming on the top, about 15 to 20 minutes. I make a some for Memorial day weekend, again on the 4th of July and about the first of the month after that as it goes fast. This does keep well in the fridge. Just peel the labels and put back into the bottles.

Yuri_Rage said:
I disagree. Ketchup makes a good base for a "tomato based" BBQ sauce. In fact, I was a QA manager for a company with three food production facilities, one made salsas and bbq sauces. We not only made our own brand bbq sauce, but made a lot for others and put thier labels on them. All of them started with ketchup. Most of your favorite bbq sauces start with ketchup. It won’t read ketchup in the ingredients list, because you list the actually ingredients of the ketchup (tomato, vinegar, etc...).

I have been trying to get the recipe from a friend of mine for years, but he will not let it go. That being said, Normally I use dry rubs.

Garlic
Ground Kosher Salt
FRESH Ground 5 pepper
fresh ground dried Cayenne
small touch of sage

If you want to liquid marinate with it, add 1 tsp Teriyaki, 12 oz beer, Tbsp Lemon juice, and 1 tbsp Brown Sugar, about 10 good shakes of Worcestershire

Edwort's "This will Kick your A$$ Later" BBQ Sauce.

Very easy to make.

24 oz. Ketchup (weight not volume) (3 cups)

1 cup brown sugar

3 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

1 Tbls. Fresh Ground Chipotle

1 whole chopped onion

1 Tbs minced garlic

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1/2 cup cider vinegar

Blend all ingredients in a blender, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for a few minutes. You can then pour it through a funnel back into the ketchup bottle.

Brewtopia said:
This is mine. I took a couple of jars out to Denver with me and it seemed to go over well. I love it personally. Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce

Prolly the best one I've ever tasted, and I am PICKY about my BBQ sauce. I'm glad I got to bring a jar of it home, because bird is coming this weekend and I plan on throwing a Boston Butt in the smoker in the morning and cooking it all day Saturday while we brew. I can't wait. I've never smoked one before, should be interesting. :rockin:

Brewtopia said:
This is mine. I took a couple of jars out to Denver with me and it seemed to go over well. I love it personally. Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce

Dude said:
Prolly the best one I've ever tasted, and I am PICKY about my BBQ sauce. I'm glad I got to bring a jar of it home
I second that!
This is easily the best barbecue sauce I have ever tasted!:mug:

this is one i made two days ago and it turned out fantatic!

Peach Barbecue Sauce
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 whole medium onion, chopped
3 cups chopped peeled peaches (about 4 large)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups beer (do NOT use stout or porter)
1 cup regular mustard
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 chopped habanero peppers (remove seeds)

Preparation
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add peaches, black pepper, salt, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in beer and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Place half of mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean dish towel over opening in blender lid (to prevent spills). Process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a medium bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture.
Note: Refrigerate sauce in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Yield
5 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)

Man i love this site. Glad i joined. Alot of these sound great. i have a dry rub for steaks that everybody seems to like , has a lot of pepper. Ill look later and post as soon as i find.

I like this one.
1 ¼ cups ketchup

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 tbsp. yellow mustard

¼ cup water

1 clove garlic – crushed

¼ cup butter

drippings from brisket or ribs

combine all of the ingredients except butter and drippings. Simmer over low heat for 1 hour stirring occasionally

Stir in the drippings and cook for 15 minutes longer.

FishBone:tank:

I have an excellent "basic" dry rub that I have tweaked over the last year or so. I'll post it later when I get home (at work at the present)

I say it's "basic" because it's got all the good stuff you want - salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, etc. - in relatively equal quantities and is pretty good on it's own, but you can kick it up any way you like. If you like a little heat, add an extra tablespoon of cyanne. If you like yours sweeter, add an extra tablespoon of brown sugar.

I haven't ventured into sauces yet, but it's an area of great interest to me. I think that with some work I can make sauce as good or better than most store-bought types. And specifically tailored to what I like (I find many of the store-bought brands have a little much black pepper for my taste).

Focus

Yuri_Rage said:

Not true! You can take the drippings from your brisket after letting it rest for a good 20 mins (should be a fair amount) and combine it with plain 'ol ketchup! The spices from your rub and mop sauce will automatically give it a good kick. If you want more, just add some Texas Pete or Frank's.;)

drouillp said:
For a good roasty garlic flavor into the sauce take a couple heads of garlic, drizzle em in olive oil, and bake em on a cookie sheet or sit em in the grill on low heat on top of some foil until they are completely soft.

Let them cool enough to hold them in your hands. Grab the head, turn it upside down, and squeeze the hell out of it. Youll have a nice roasty garlic paste. Wonderful.

You can also use this method with a nice pork tenderloin! Add some lime juice and fresh cracked black pepper to the mix and slather it on the tenderloin....you can bake/smoke/grill it however you want from there. Easy and awesome!:fro:

Rhoobarb said:
Damn, that sounds tasty! :) I love to roast garlic, just like you described!

One of my go to sauces, too. I've tried making my own before but, like you, I end up liking some of my favorite commerical ones better. Rendevous, Oklahoma Smokers, Gates', Robinson's, Bandana's, Stubb's and Maull's (not so great, too ketchup-y) are in my fridge right now.

"Sweet Baby Ray's" makes an awesome sauce (I like the spicy style)....you can use it as a base for your own sauce, but honestly, there really isn't any room to improve. It's pretty good!

Focus said:
I have an excellent "basic" dry rub that I have tweaked over the last year or so. I'll post it later when I get home (at work at the present)

I say it's "basic" because it's got all the good stuff you want - salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, etc. - in relatively equal quantities and is pretty good on it's own, but you can kick it up any way you like. If you like a little heat, add an extra tablespoon of cyanne. If you like yours sweeter, add an extra tablespoon of brown sugar.

I haven't ventured into sauces yet, but it's an area of great interest to me. I think that with some work I can make sauce as good or better than most store-bought types. And specifically tailored to what I like (I find many of the store-bought brands have a little much black pepper for my taste).

Focus

I am very familiar with this rub....you're the first in the thread to even mention paprika! It forms an awesome base for the rub. If you have a spice mill ( coffee grinder dedicated to spices) you can toast mustard seeds in a pan and then grind them....that adds amazing flavor to this rub! Same thing with chipotle chiles; just grind them fine and add! Amazing flavor...I'm telling you!:ban:

Another trick I've learned is to keep "Montreal Steak" rub on hand. It includes all the ingredients you'd have in most rubs, and it'll save you in a pinch! It goes on everythingAlternatively, double your proportions for the rubs you make and put the excess in small mason jars. They'll stay fresh for at least a year. If you smoke large cuts of meat, you'll use it up long before then:D

Back