Did jesus drink beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcanady

Reaction score
During the time of Jesus' life beer was common throughout the Middle East. We know that alcohol was much safer to drink then water and that Jesus did drink wine. The bible refers to "strong drink" which was more often then not beer. Wine was normally referred to as "fermented drink." What is your take?
If this is true what type of beer would you think Jesus would enjoy?

Id say he only drank beer since grains were alot more common than grapes ..im sure it just got lost in translation

KBentley57 said:
Please. Everyone knows Jebus drank wine, not some trailor trash homebrew.

Ohh but he'd drink some trailer trash home made wine?
I think he'd enjoy some Ta Henket from Dogfish

I get asked this question from time to time since I'm a preacher and a home brewer. I certainly don't claim to be much of a bible scholar though.

I have always loved that the first miracle recorded in the Book of John is Jesus making wine. Lots of it. At least 120 gallons of it. And it was awesome. And it was after people had been drinking.

While the English translation doesn't mention beer specifically in the Bible, it is hard to ignore historical fact that beer was around during that time and in that region. Also, since Jesus spent a lot of time in places that most "religious" people wouldn't go, chances are there was beer around. Either way, beer or wine, it's obvious that Jesus was ok with alcohol. Alcohol in and of itself is amoral.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the day, Hops weren't used in beer because folks didn't know how awesome they were. Also, the fermented greatness was consumed shortly after it was created, which would provide a not high abv, and certainly a not very clear beverage. (I once heard people used the foam from beer to make their bread rise). Liquid bread, if you will. So... the beer we're all used to, no matter the type, is probably not what our ancestors consumed. Can anyone more else provide more details?

I don't know about all that, but New Acronym!

WWJD!

That is what I will ask myself every time I have to decide what to get. I think more often than not it will be IPA.

Kittyfeet said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the day, Hops weren't used in beer because folks didn't know how awesome they were. Also, the fermented greatness was consumed shortly after it was created, which would provide a not high abv, and certainly a not very clear beverage. (I once heard people used the foam from beer to make their bread rise). Liquid bread, if you will. So... the beer we're all used to, no matter the type, is probably not what our ancestors consumed. Can anyone more else provide more details?

True- hops were not used so if your a Reinheitsgebot brewer then he is not drink beer... But grain fermented beverages were abundant and their are many available today. Some examples could be found made by dogfish, anchorsteam, and a few other companies...

Imagine if you will, Jesus sitting in a hut with a number of other of other men, a frothy pot of fermented grains on the floor in front of them and each sipping it through their long straws...

Assuming that Jesus was God incarnate and that He, like the Father, was omnipotent, and that the story of the wedding in Caanan was true and He did, in fact, turn water into wine, then you have to believe that, in His own time, He was turning water into marvelous, spectacular barleywines, double IPAs, and Russian Imperial Stouts (even though Catherine the Great would not commission the Russian Imperial Stout for 1700 more years) which, as we all know, are far superior to any wine. In sum, Jesus, if he had a brain in his head, would have been the ultimate homebrewer. I'm out.

I would have to think that Jesus wouldn't just "turn" water into beer because most of the passion and love that we hold as brewers is in the brewing of beer. Either way, I could see a joyous Jesus holding a tankard full of a full stout and sporting a beer foam mustache!

Id say he only drank beer since grains were alot more common than grapes ..im sure it just got lost in translation

I remember one docco I watch which went to say pretty much that. The original stories were Jesus turning water into a fermented beverage... then when they were translated wine was choosen as it was the drink of choice for the affluent at then time of translation. I mean Jesus wouldn't be slumming it...

I sure hope so, becasue if there's no beer in heaven, eternity is going to suck.

BBL_Brewer said:
I sure hope so, becasue if there's no beer in heaven, eternity is going to suck.

There's a polka out there that clears it up. "In heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here. "

If you got a chance to sit down with "the big guy" and have a brew what would you serve him?
I think I'd go with my Belgian strong dark ale nicknamed The Prophet

So what you are saying is that I perform miracles on a more frequent basis than Jesus did? I mean, Jesus turned water into fermented drink once and people are talking about it 2000 years later. Me, I do that just about every week. So I guess that means I'm probably going to be like intergalacticly famous or something.

So what you are saying is that I perform miracles on a more frequent basis than Jesus did? I mean, Jesus turned water into fermented drink once and people are talking about it 2000 years later. Me, I do that just about every week. So I guess that means I'm probably going to be like intergalacticly famous or something.

Yeah and he only let it sit for what, a few minutes before serving. Man that must of been some green beer. What a noob :D

But now, take that a step farther and consider the implications that fall from the use of "wine" rather than beer or "fermented drink". Wine is made by the terroir, the territory, in which the grapes are grown. The Vintner does not create the wine, he merely uses the grapes that the season gives him, good or bad, and does his best with the quality he has. On the other hand, beer is not affected by the quality of the weather. Whereas an entire crop of grapes could be wiped out by an early freeze, it would be an extremely rare famine in which grains of barley were unsuitable for making beer. So in that sense, the taste of a beer is more directly attributable to the brewer, less to the special qualities of the ingredients used. Whereas there is a finite supply of wine, limited to the number of grapes grown and by the regions in which good grapes can be grown, the supply of beer is nearly infinite, as grains can be grown annually nearly anywhere on the planet. Great beer can be supplied to all people, great wine cannot. That's just a simple fact of life on this planet. SO... think about what this says about the hidden biases in the translations of the Bible. What motivated a Church to use the word "wine", an alcoholic beverage of limited availability and quantity, over the more egalitarian and endlessly available "beer"? Was this the moment that the church chose elitism and the reinforcing of classes within society, over their own teachings regarding the equality of men?

gratus fermentatio said:
I saw it coming & I still LOL'd. :D
I think might've drank beers like these:
http://www.shmaltzbrewing.com/HEBREW/index.html :mug:
Just sayin.
Regards, GF.

Picked one up yesterday.

image-3474443087.jpg

Jesus turned water to wine with a touch of his hands but i dont recall anywhere that it says he drank wine (tonyc318 can probably clear that up if im wrong). If he did it probably wasn't alot since the bible states not to be drunk on wine, it doesnt say not to drink it at all. We discussed this at work one time and a guy stated " the bible says not to be drunk on wine, not beer".

Jesus turned water to wine with a touch of his hands but i dont recall anywhere that it says he drank wine (tonyc318 can probably clear that up if im wrong). If he did it probably wasn't alot since the bible states not to be drunk on wine, it doesnt say not to drink it at all. We discussed this at work one time and a guy stated " the bible says not to be drunk on wine, not beer".

Ahhhh, but what is the deffinition of "drunk":
Happy and a bit loose,
sluring a bit
stumbling around
falling down?

We're approaching "offensive" from a point of "discussion".

Please remember that you're in the "general chit chat area" and the rules governing that area. Refrain from offensive, political, or religious talk and follow the rules.

Thanks.

Yooper said:
We're approaching "offensive" from a point of "discussion".

Please remember that you're in the "general chit chat area" and the rules governing that area. Refrain from offensive, political, or religious talk and follow the rules.

Thanks.

I know "offensive" is discretionary but I think it's a loose discussion about a historical figure. But I do understand the warning as things can sometimes get out of control.

If he did it would have been extreme beer. Wood aged sour Belgian influenced double pilsner triple IPA vanilla infused old whiskey barrel inspired double concocted farmhouse decoction barnyard imperial mild aged on peaches soaked in maple syrup that was hop infused with rye then triple fermented aged in old cider barrels soaked in Cabernet grapes from a coolship bottled in a limited edition run of bag labeled silk screened one of a kind glass formed at a farm in Flanders with brett infused sand.

I get asked this question from time to time since I'm a preacher and a home brewer. I certainly don't claim to be much of a bible scholar though.

I have always loved that the first miracle recorded in the Book of John is Jesus making wine. Lots of it. At least 120 gallons of it. And it was awesome. And it was after people had been drinking.

While the English translation doesn't mention beer specifically in the Bible, it is hard to ignore historical fact that beer was around during that time and in that region. Also, since Jesus spent a lot of time in places that most "religious" people wouldn't go, chances are there was beer around. Either way, beer or wine, it's obvious that Jesus was ok with alcohol. Alcohol in and of itself is amoral.

I've actually done a lot of research over the years on organized Religion's, especially Christianity's views on alcohol....I've also done a lot of research on the history of many religious taboos, especially as they relate to Christianity.

I came upon something recently...might have been in the book "The Search for God and Gunness" that at that time the term "wine" may have been the cultural catch all phrase for any fermented beverage; that there wasn't really a sophisticated distinction between that which was made with grain, or fruit or honey, like there is today. In fact if you look at some of Caligione's research for some of the beers he's made based on historical/archeoloigal research many of the beverage contained multiple fermentables. Look at the the residue from the burial urn of King Midas, from which his Midas Touch was made, it contain the fermented residue of grapes, barley, and honey.

The beer based on ancient Egypt, Ta Henket was made with Bappir (bread) and doum-palm fruit, again a hybrid beer and wine concoction.

I don't know 2,000 years ago necessarily if there were any pure distinction between "beer" or "wine," but I'm pretty sure Jesus, and everyone else for that matter, drank fermented beverages...even if they were only lightly fermented.

We know fermented beverages were consumed in most of the ancient world, for the same reason they were drank into the 1800's in Western Society- Because water was too dangerous to drink...AND it was a caloric intake - "Liguid Bread."

So yeah it was highly unlikely that Jesus DIDN'T consume alcohol....because everyone did as a matter of survival.

In fact it wasn't until the mid part of the Temperance movement, around the start of WWI, that Beer, and wine actually came in conflict with Christianity.

According to Maureen Ogle in Ambitious Brew, that in the early pre-prohibition period at the beginning of the Temperance movement, beer was actually considered the "good" alcohol. Compared to rum and other spirits. There were all these things, even put out by the temperance movement saying beer was benign.

Beer was healthy, it was "liquid bread" they even believed that you couldn't get drunk on beer.

But when anti-German sentiments aroused by World War I fed the flames of the temperance movement (one activist even declared that “the worst of all our German enemies are Pabst, Schlitz, Blatz, and Miller”), that beer was lumped along with all the other alcoholic beverages.

Over the years I've posted a lot of stuff about Christianity and other religion's views on Alcohol.

In the history of Christianity, alcoholic prohibition is a relatively new idea. In fact, alcohol was a normal part of life. In Colonial America, the Puritans expected Christians to drink (Hearn, 1943). In the 1700s, a Baptist minister created the formula for bourbon whiskey (Hailey, 1992). During the 1800s, many Southern ministers operated stills, and sold alcohol (Hearn, 1943). Parishioners who owned stills would tithe their alcohol; and preachers' salaries often included whiskey. All this began to change, however, as the Temperance movement took shape (Hailey, 1992).

The idea that alcohol was dangerous was not new, though. In 600 B.C. Pathagoras noted, "drunkenness is an expression identical with ruin." In 44 B.C., Cicero wrote, "a sensual and intemperate youth hands over a worn-out body to old age," when he drinks to excess. Centuries later, Muhammed declared, "there is a devil in every berry of the grape" (Hearn, 1943). In fact, Islam has a total prohibition of alcohol, proclaiming drinking a sin (Parshall, 1989). Chaucer wrote in A.D. 1380, "character and shame depart when wine comes in." Clearly, for thousands of years, men have known of the dangers of alcohol. Knowledge about the dangers of alcohol stopped few from drinking, however. Jesus not only drank, his first miracle was turning water to wine; and he used wine as a symbol of the salvation through his blood (Hearn, 1943; Jn 2; Lk 22:20).

For Southern Baptists, too, alcohol was a part of life. That is until the Temperance movement began to infiltrate the religious denominations in America. Finally, in 1896, the Southern Baptist Convention officially denounced alcohol and asked that churches excommunicate anyone who sold or drank alcohol. For the first time in Southern Baptist history, drinking was considered immoral. The success of this measure is debatable. A Southern Baptist study has shown that in the 1990s, 46 percent of members drink alcohol (Hailey, 1992).

Investigation shows that although people knew of the danger in alcohol, throughout history, Christian prohibition is a new, and rather American, phenomenon. The decisions of churches to abstain came out of the American Temperance movement. David Hailey, though supporting the SBC's resolution, admits that biblical support for abstinence was an after-thought. Christians had decided, for social reasons, that alcohol was wrong. Only then, did they turn to the Bible to find support (Hailey, 1992).

(I kinda like that first paragrah....paid in hooch, eh? ;))

From ALCOHOLIC PROHIBITION IN SOUTHERN BAPTIST CHURCHES AND ITS IMPLICATION ON THE PRIESTHOOD OF BELIEVERS

I've never done an in-depth study yet, of the history of Islam's (Mohammed's) prohibition against alcohol....because it seems to me that drinking water in the Levant would be just as risky as anywhere else. I would not be surprised to find that they consumed something that actually WAS alcoholic as well (at least enough to prevent people from getting sick- Like a table/kid's beer, something low gravity) But like I mentioned above they didn't consider it as a means of "drunken-ness." People drank it to survive.

Unless the specific region where Mohammed lived and taught had a hugely available source of fresh water, that in his mind there was truly no survival need to drink alcohol...But I don't know specifically where he did his thing...and find it unlikely any body of water was totally safe to drink.

Revvy

I have done a lot of research as I'm a history major and love controversial topics and ended up with much the same. I have not looked much into Muhammed either. But this is exactly what I was looking for. There has not been much "mainstream" insight on the subject of Jesus and consumption of alcohol.
But I have to ask if you had a chance to sit down with either Jesus or Muhammed what would you share with them?

I'd go with a simple Pale Ale, since they both seem to be humble people :D

I'd probably like to try whatever it was that Jesus made. I'd also like to try some of those original concoctions that Sam Caligione and that anthropologist that worked with him tried to recreate. I'd like to see of the Funeral drink of King Midas was close to Midas touch.

Revvy

There has not been much "mainstream" insight on the subject of Jesus and consumption of alcohol.

I think the reason is, that despite what some extremely conservative fundamentalists might believe....it wasn't a big deal. Alcohol played an entirely different role in society back then, for thousands of years, until the 1800's; you drank it as food, and you drank it in place of water (which could get you sick, or was hard to come by) to stay hydrated. You really didn't have many alternatives if you wanted to live.

Consuming alcohol wasn't the problem, but "Drunkeness," might have been. Going overboard.

Now we eat meat or some form of protein at every meal, we have access to clean water, we have the ability to pasteurize what we consume to prevent food borne illness, when those needs are taken care of alcohol's role shifts to that of an object of pleasure more than food....and that's why shortly after it's role of Liquid Bread disappears in the 1900's, alcohol starts to get on the radar of the moralists.

I have always assumed that ancient beer was more akin to kvas than modern beer, which is to say not nearly as good.

Tart, low alcohol, and very inconsistent from batch to batch. Wait...that descrbes my first three years as a homebrewer, too.

Back