SNPA clone a bit malty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyGilmore

Reaction score
Hello,

So I just cracked my first bottle of my SNPA clone (Midwest I think?) and it tastes a bit malty. More to the point, a bit too much like wort.

I assume it's because it's been only 7 days in the bottle but I just wanted to test it. I dunno if this is to be expected.

a few pieces of data:

4 week primary at 69-70 degrees - no secondary
late LME addition. 1/3 at 60, 2/3 at 15 (it's quite light luvibond wise)
7 days in bottles at 70 degrees. primed with standard priming sugar pack
fairly carbonated for only 7 days. head dissipated quickly but two centimeter head remained throughout consumption. A bit flat.
after 24 hours I had TONS of airlock activity that lasted a few days. I didn't take a hydro reading (no real need to with kits) but there's no question about fermentation.

any thoughts? i won't crack my next one for another two weeks I'll report back then.

Thanks

The airlock activity is not an indicator of proper fermentation. What was your starting gravity and how much yeast did you use? If you underpitched then it might be malty, but as FATC1TY said, it's not ready.

Wait 2 more weeks and try again. Was this all grain or extract? If all grain it could be your water.

Nice attention to detail!

Well...if it tastes a bit malty....the hops schedule might be important. Just saying - we've all forgotten to add hops to the boil before. Or maybe that was just me...

I have a Sierra Madre from Northern Brewer in the fermentor right now. Some of its reviews said that it was short on hops so I added an ounce of cascade and spread the 0 min additions out to every 5 min between 15 and 0. I'll know the results in about 5 weeks! :mug:

Not a lot that you can do with it already in the bottle unless you want to build a Randall JR

It's been two weeks (3 total) and I'm happy to report that the beer is now delicious. The malty/wort flavor has subsided, the hops have come to life, and all is right in my beer universe.

p.s. drinking a La Fin Du Monde right now and this stuff is amazing. Perhaps one notch below Duvel in my book and that is saying something.

I have a Sierra Madre from Northern Brewer in the fermentor right now. Some of its reviews said that it was short on hops so I added an ounce of cascade and spread the 0 min additions out to every 5 min between 15 and 0. I'll know the results in about 5 weeks! :mug:

Not a lot that you can do with it already in the bottle unless you want to build a Randall JR

My SM from NB is pass 2 weeks in the bottle. Boy o boy does it taste good right now. I can't wait till it hits 3 weeks. You're going to love it! BTW, the hops are there. You can definitely taste them.

SmoothSmoke said:
My SM from NB is pass 2 weeks in the bottle. Boy o boy does it taste good right now. I can't wait till it hits 3 weeks. You're going to love it! BTW, the hops are there. You can definitely taste them.

I calculated the IBU's from my changes and it bumped it all the way up to 80! Oops! I had one at a week and it was VERY good. I've named it "Hop Pail" because it is still in the Pale Ale range for ABV but as hoppy as an IPA (though it could use some dry hops).

Latest posts

Back