Measuring hops without scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay1

Reaction score
Does anybody have an idea how much a cup of hop flowers would weigh? My problem is; I have an 8oz bag of Citra hops and I need to be able to measure them by the oz without a scale.

You'd have to take into account whether they're pellets or raw hops. The raw (leaf) are bulkier. I finally gave in & got a $20 digital scale at walmart.

Make a tip scale like the one lady liberty holds. Then Google the weight of coins to make an oz. I know a nickel weights 5 grams hope this helps Chopps

It may be possible to get close with pellets, but whole hops are going to be pretty close to impossible to measure that way. There's too much variability in compression of the whole cones. You'll be glad you got a scale.

I suppose it would be possible to build a simple beam-balance if you had something of a known weight to balance against. But I'd buy the scale. You'll be glad you did.

EDIT: Joey just said that but with better info. Too slow on the keyboard!

It may be possible to get close with pellets, but whole hops are going to be pretty close to impossible to measure that way. There's too much variability in compression of the whole cones. You'll be glad you got a scale.

I suppose it would be possible to build a simple beam-balance if you had something of a known weight to balance against. But I'd buy the scale. You'll be glad you did.

EDIT: Joey just said that but with better info. Too slow on the keyboard!

He has a known weight. 8oz of hops. Beam balance till it is 4 and 4, then 2 and 2, then 1 and 1..

Jeeze you all are right on top of it. I was gonna half it up till I got oz's but I decided to go buy a scale instead.

Back