Smoked Beer Washed Cheese

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis2010

Reaction score
Just did a little experiment which turned out very well. I'm currently in Volcan, Panama and there is lots of dairy production here...we walk right next door to get fresh raw milk, cheese, and yogurt.

Queso Blanco AKA Queso Fresco is very common in the area. This is just a very simple direct set cheese, good but basic...so I thought I would try and make it a bit more interesting...I let it soak in a Stout for about an hour and then smoked it for a few hours....Yum! It turned out delicious. Nice smoky taste w a slightly malty finish.

Did another one of these today, but also put the cheese on a bed of fresh picked rosemary while smoking. Turned out quite nice.

Compared to the usual routine of cheese making this is close to instant gratification.

Wonder how inoculating with a blue cheese strain or similar and allowing to develop would work out?

Had some Queso Fresco with breakfast today, this sounds very interesting and easy, but as they say pictures or it didn't happen!:p

Had some Queso Fresco with breakfast today, this sounds very interesting and easy, but as they say pictures or it didn't happen!:p

Yah, I know, bit it disappeared before I got a pic. Will try to get some next time.

Got pics this time!

Made another batch today, 4 small rounds of queso blanco, cut each into quarters, washed half in Guiness overnight, left half plain, smoked for about 2 hours...yumm!

ForumRunner_20130927_221617.jpg

ForumRunner_20130927_221633.jpg

ForumRunner_20130927_221649.jpg

Looks good, going to have to give this a try when i have time. Have you used other beers?

So far just a couple of different stouts...gave it a very mild malty finish. You could go in a radically different direction and try something like a fruit lambic...damn...that sounds good!

I'm currently in Volcan, Panama ...we walk right next door to get fresh raw milk, cheese, and yogurt.
Life is good.

.I let it (Queso Blanco)soak in a Stout for about an hour and then smoked it for a few hours...
Life can get even better with a little effort.

Thanks for the imagery. I am feeling more relaxed already. Ahhhh

Life is good.

Life can get even better with a little effort.

Thanks for the imagery. I am feeling more relaxed already. Ahhhh

A few images of local scenery attached to help with your visualization...imagine cool high altitude temps with clouds rolling thru town in the afternoon....

ForumRunner_20131005_122304.jpg

ForumRunner_20131005_123045.png

Latest posts

Back