Bitter Blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToledoBeer

Reaction score
A couple days ago I brewed a smoked ale with an OG of 1.060 and fermented it with Wyeast German Ale yeast. I'm having very active fermentation and quite a bit of blow off. I tasted a bit off the side of the fermenter and it is way more bitter than the final beer should be. Is this just from the hop oils on top or did I over hop? My hop schedule was only 1 oz. of Cluster (6.7 Alpha) for 60 Min and .5 oz. Williamette (5.5 Alpha) at 10 and 5 min. According to Beer Smith it should have resulted in 27 IBUS.

I have tasted this also and just figured it was hop particles being carried up with CO2, then out with the blow off. My beer was fine.

If you compare the taste of the foamy head on a glass of beer to the actual beer, there is a difference. The krausen probably had lots of hops in it as well.

Always provide enough headspace to contain the krausen and let it drop back into the beer. Gives you all the flavors from the hops as well as more beer that is only wasted as blow off.

OMO

bosco

That is from the hop oils, which is clumped together by your krausen. You're beer is just fine. Now quit eating it! :)

Back