Butt-crack of dawn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
Yup... its 600am and I am up at the butt-crack of dawn to do my minimum wage 6 day a week job.

Yet... I actually love what I do and wish I did it more. It's just the very-very-AM part that requires a bit of coffee to wash away. It's so true what they say - you have to love what you do, regardless. I've worked jobs that paid more but I couldn't stand and I had to get out of ASAP.

I think it's so important to enjoy what you do, otherwise wasting your days away just to get paid seems kind of meaningless. For those who are doing stuff they do not like, I hope you find something you do.

My only regret about being paid so little... I cannot buy more beer brewing equipment!

And with that, Happy weekend all! Regardless of if you have to work or not, RDWHAHB.

Good to see that someone can appreciate the blessing in their life. I could only wish I had the patience to find something that I love to do and could make a living at it. As it is, I'm at work on a Saturday, away from my kids and college football. The part that makes it tolerable is that I get paid so very well for what I do. And I take solace in the fact that it affords me the opportunity to do what I love to do at home.

And the crack of "Coastal Buck" season opening.

And opening day of moose season here, although I didn't get a licence this year. Ah well, a buddy of mine do have a licence and when he bags his moose, I'll get a fair bit of it for myself.

I'm working today on call and while there are a few things I don't like about my job ( like being on call ) for the most part I enjoy going to work each day.

I love my job... if I didnt, I wouldnt have put up with all of the crap it took to get it, and left my previous career. It provides for us so that my wife can stay home and raise the kids and we can save for our retirement.

This being said, I do hate getting called at 3am to go to work, I do dislike working 14 hour days, and it is aggrivating working 8-10 hours with no break for lunch. If I were sitting at a desk and I could zone out when I was tired, it would be different, but that isnt really an option. Aside from the fatigue, I love it and cannot imagine doing anything else.

We have a plan for me to reitire when I am 55, but when I actually think about it, I dont think I could walk away from this career that early in life... it would seriously depress me to leave the drama, the hustle and the high pace.

I love my job and the security it has provided for my family, even my worst days at work are better than most peoples best days.

You cant get the stewardess to bring you some peanuts for lunch like everyone else on the plane?

Peanuts are not lunch... also, it is against airline policy for us to consume anyting on the plane for passenger consumption.

Peanuts are not lunch... also, it is against airline policy for us to consume anyting on the plane for passenger consumption.

Wow you're a career pilot who enjoys their job? Never heard of it...

I say that cause I'm a CFI and while I love instructing (see original post), I am worried about mainstream airline jobs.

How about water? Can you consume that?

Water is the ONLY exception, but you cannot take it off the plane (even if you have already consumed half the bottle). That makes sense, right?

To SNIPER-CR...

Hell yes I love my job, I cannot imagine doing anything else. It is an exciting business, I live in my base and I get to fly with some excellent people. Some of the FOs I fly with are members on this board as well. My job is like a hobby, more than a job... it is like brewing beer, except more lucrative. We get paid to go out and play with the newest and most advanced tranport a/c out there. I used to be an office worker, my worst days flying are MUCH better than my BEST days in the office... mainly because I dont have a boss watching what I am doing, I can make a decision and run with it.

I get up at 3:45 for work, man I would love to sleep in that late !

Pat

Yeah, the last month I have been getting to the hospital at 4am and staying till 8pm. No lunch, no breaks, little sleep and no sanity. In fact, the only reason I am able to write this now is because the pharmacy is slow as s#!% this morning....

If I didn't love what I did I would almost have to call this work :D

Water is the ONLY exception, but you cannot take it off the plane (even if you have already consumed half the bottle). That makes sense, right?

To SNIPER-CR...

Hell yes I love my job, I cannot imagine doing anything else. It is an exciting business, I live in my base and I get to fly with some excellent people. Some of the FOs I fly with are members on this board as well. My job is like a hobby, more than a job... it is like brewing beer, except more lucrative. We get paid to go out and play with the newest and most advanced tranport a/c out there. I used to be an office worker, my worst days flying are MUCH better than my BEST days in the office... mainly because I dont have a boss watching what I am doing, I can make a decision and run with it.

Good to hear. I spend a little too much time reading all the gloom and doom over at airlinepilotcentral.com and cannot help but get extremely disillusioned. I have started limiting my time at that forum due to all the negativity.

This board is the complete opposite of that one. Nice people who are willing to help and not blame each other for the problems of the world.

I dont visit any airline forums...

Basically people with no lives and who like to ***** from a keyboard dominate those sites (not referring to you!) They represent about 10% of the aviation "professionals" out there.

Many topics that they discuss, are pure conjecture, with no real factual basis. I have realized that in this business, what seems plausible, will never happen. That which you cannot imagine, most definately will.

I am a captain getting ready to get CATII certified on the E170 and E190... a few years ago I was a Saab FO and we were almost out of business! Who'd a thunk it?

Aviation is great fun, and it is full of great and enthusiastic people. Unfortunately, like my flight instructor/truck driver used to say... even a$$ holes want to fly.

here here! i like my job most days
its nice to do something you love that makes a real impact

Back