Does My Equipment Profile for BeerSmith Look Right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Trying to setup my equipment profile for BeerSmith and just wanted to see if you guys think it looks right. I know that it will take at least five brew days to really dial it in, but this is what I came up with to try out first.

My setup is pictured below, it's a three keg HERMs system that is model off of The Electric Brewery. I used this tutorial (http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=5140.0) to setup my profile. The thing that worries me the most is it says that my "Boil Volume" is 17.13 gal. As I'm using 15.5 gal kegs, there's no way this can happen. So let me know what you guys think.

IMG_20130710_125541_603_zps1ea3ab7f.jpg

Screenshot2013-07-22at123035PM_zps9a547e28.png

Thanks.

I think you are probably a bit high on your loss to Trub and Chiller and maybe even your Boil Off rate (or you have measured it and my assumptions on my system are low)

The math is adding up that you would need a 17.13 gallon boil though

I haven't measured the boil off rate yet. Tried to yesterday, but found a major leak where my temperature probe is. Took it to the welder this morning.

If 17.3 gal is right, how do people do 10 gal batches with kegs for their HLT, MLT, and BK?

Your loss to trub and chiller is a lot, 1 gallon is more than I lose. I think Your boil off rate will be closer to 1.2 gallons an hour.
Hope this helps Tom

I haven't measured the boil off rate yet. Tried to yesterday, but found a major leak where my temperature probe is. Took it to the welder this morning.

If 17.3 gal is right, how do people do 10 gal batches with kegs for their HLT, MLT, and BK?

They are not leaving as much behind, so they don't need to start with as much.

Volume into the fermenter + losses to trub/chiller/boil-off = starting volume (leaving cooling loss out of it for simplicity).

In your setup, you claim to be loosing 3+ gallons to boil-off, and 2.5 gallons never make it out of the keggle and into the fermenter (due to trub/chiller loss). That is 5.5+ gallons of liquid that needs to be added to your starting volume to end up with 11 gallons in the fermenter.

The 3+ gallons of boil-off seems high, but maybe not excessive for a 90 minute boil, but the 2.5 gallons seems like a lot of wort is being left behind.

In my kettle, I leave less than a 1/2 gallon behind for a "normal" beer, and about 3/4 of a gallon for a beer with a lot of hops (all I use is pellets).

Back