White IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
All-Grain - White IPA
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3463 (Forbidden Fruit)
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 48.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 4.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 days @ 70*, 10+ days @ 73*
Tasting Notes: Based on Collaboration 2 from Boulevard and Deschutes in 2011.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: White IPA
Brewer: Mike Wittmann
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.09 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.96 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.6 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 56.1 %
7 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 24.6 %
4 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3 14.0 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.8 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 3.5 %
0.90 oz Bravo [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.3 IBUs
5.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 8.8 IBUs
3.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 11.3 IBUs
2.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 8.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463) [124 Yeast 13 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
125.00 g Lemongrass (Fresh, Thinly Sliced) (Secon Spice 17 -
1.00 g Sage (dried) (Secondary 7.0 days) Spice 18 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 28 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 34.38 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.63gal, 4.63gal) of 168.0 F water

Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

Thanks for posting your conversation with the brewer and your recipe, I will be finalizing my own version and plan to brew this weekend.

Looking at Deschutes' website, they also list coriander and orange peel for the Conflux Recipe:
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/recipe/conflux-no-2-clone

My only experience so far has been with the Deschutes version (which I loved).

As another deviation, I dont have the Forbidden Fruit yeast and it looks like I wont be able to source it locally so I may end up using either Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier or 1214 Belgian Abbey.

Have you brewed your recipe yet?

Haven't had time or money in the brewing budget to tackle this yet, but everything in the recipe is based on info from a brewer at Blvd. He didn't say anything about orange peel or coriander, and I don't recall those flavors from the original.

In his original email to me, before he listed Forbidden Fruit by name, the advice was to go with a trappist-style yeast. I'm using WLP510 (Bastogne) for a Belgian IPA here shortly, so I will probably use that for the White IPA when I get around to brewing it.

Wingfan13 said:
Anyone brew this yet ? I love Collab #2.

I am hoping to brew this tomorrow. I have everything for my version of the recipe - just need to find some time.

Thought it would be handy to quote doublebogey10 and the info he got from Boulevard.

Here's what they sent to me. I'm adjusting my extract recipe slightly based on this

---------------------
Our Collaboration #2 White India Pale Ale featured collaborative brewing efforts with Deschutes Brewery of Bend, OR. While I would love to tell you that this special beer will be made again, at this time there are no plans to do second release.

Here's a bit of info about the recipe for the White I.P.A. I'll throw you some percentages for the grain bill and some IBUs from the hop bill.

Malt %
Pilsner 57.1
Wheat 15.5
Malted Wheat 25.0
Flaked Oats 2.4
We also increased Plato by .5 degrees with a dextrose addition in the kettle

Hops (IBU amounts)
Bravo 21 10 min after beginning of boil
Citra 11.6
Cascade 9
Centennial 8 these three at 65 after
Citra 3
Cascade 1.7
Centennial 2.6 these three at flameout

Dry Hopping/Spices
Citra .113 kg/bbl
Cascade .159 kg/bbl
Centennial .113 kg/bbl
Lemongrass
Sage

Ferment with Belgian yeast at 21 C
Starting Plato should be 17 and finishing should be 3.4

Protistman said:
How did your recipe turn out?

So far, so good.
It sat in primary for about four weeks. Racked it to secondary earlier this week so it's dry hopping now with ahtanum, cascade and centennial (couldn't find citra when I bought everything).
I don't have my notes with me but I think OG was 1.072 and the reading was 1.011 when I racked it this week. I've never used lemongrass for anything before so wasn't quite sure how to ready it. I boiled it just in case and then bent it around a bit before throwing it in the bag just to break it up a bit.
The taste sample prior to dry hopping was very nice.
Only thing that might have been off was color -expected it to be a little lighter. But I'm not too concerned until I actually pour one.
Hope to bottle in the next couple of days. Will try to post a pic or two and will give a taste report in a couple weeks.
This was my first recipe I've ever done so I'm excited.

So far, so good.
It sat in primary for about four weeks. Racked it to secondary earlier this week so it's dry hopping now with ahtanum, cascade and centennial (couldn't find citra when I bought everything).
I don't have my notes with me but I think OG was 1.072 and the reading was 1.011 when I racked it this week. I've never used lemongrass for anything before so wasn't quite sure how to ready it. I boiled it just in case and then bent it around a bit before throwing it in the bag just to break it up a bit.
The taste sample prior to dry hopping was very nice.
Only thing that might have been off was color -expected it to be a little lighter. But I'm not too concerned until I actually pour one.
Hope to bottle in the next couple of days. Will try to post a pic or two and will give a taste report in a couple weeks.
This was my first recipe I've ever done so I'm excited.

Nice man, glad to hear its tasting good. Im brewing this afternoon and am debating a bit on my hop additions. Although in the email you posted from the brewery the ibu's were provided, neither hop amounts nor boil times were very specific. What did you end up going with for hop schedule/amount?

Here's the recipe I brewed:

6# Northern Brewer Pilsen LME
3.15# Northern Brewer Wheat LME
1# Briess Pilsen Light DME

Batch size: 5.0 gallons edit
1 oz Warrior 60
.5 oz Ahtanum 25
.5 oz Centennial 25
.5 oz Cascase 10
.5 oz Ahtanum 5
.5 oz Centennial 5
.5 oz Cascase 5
.5 oz coriander 5
.5 oz sweet orange peel 5

DryHop
.5 oz Ahtanum
.5 oz Cascade
.5 oz Centennial
.75 oz sage
lemongrass (four 2-3-inch stalks) Similar to THIS

Pitched two packs of Wyest Forbidden Fruit
According to beer calculus, I was supposed to hit:
OG 1.076
FG 1.019

According to my notes, I was:
OG 1.072
FG 1.011

It fermented like crazy. I use buckets and had to switch and clean airlocks twice. When I racked to secondary/dry hop last week, the underside of my bucket lid was caked! So I suggest a blowoff tube.

Hope that helps.
Good luck -- let me know how it goes.

I'm hoping to move up to partial mash this summer and then to all grain soon. I really want to try this one again with the control that all grain allows.
Like I said, my taste sample when I racked to secondary really got my hopes up. This is only the second IPA I've brewed and my first recipe (although I certainly had inspiration thanks to the folks at Boulevard) so I've got my hopes up!

I'm just testing for the first time. I brewed it about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I gotta say it's quite interesting. The mixture of hops and malt and yeast is really well done and it made plays really well with the lemongrass and the sage and orange peel and coriander. I did use orange peel and coriander because it is listed on the Deshuted website and I do really think it came out well. I also added a quarter ounce of cracked pepper just so I could test out that would adding the pepper to a recipe with do since I haven't had an opportunity to try that before. What I taste the most right now is sage and the aroma of what seems to be citrus. I'm looking forward to tasting this as it ages thanks for the recipe.

I'm liking how the citra is acting with the lemongrass. I have sorachi but thought it might be too lemony. I boiled the lemongrass for 5 minutes and is smooth, not a harsh lemony taste.

I was cleaning out the beer closet last week and I came across a six-pack of this that I had tucked away in the back.
I was really interested to taste it as it's been nearly a year since I brewed it.
Simply put -- wow! I loved this last summer and it's even better now.
I'm moving into all-grain so now I need to convert the recipe!

Hi All,

I has some of the Boulevard Reboot IPA a couple of weeks ago and I can honestly say it is one of the best beers I have ever had. Can anyone tell me how different Reboot was from the original?

I'm working on a recipe and I got some tips from Boulevard but I have questions about boiling or dry hopping the sage and lemongrass.

Back