How to add strawberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
So I just wanted to know what the general concensus was on adding frozen strawberries to secondary and racking on top of it. Do most people pasteurize first or is the alcohol content high enough in the beer to keep away infection.

Mwhahahahaah, prepare to be bombarded with conflicting opinions.

Personally, I like to wash my strawberries thoroughly, blend them to a mush and add 1 pound per gallon to the secondary.

If you look in the recipe database under the fruit recipes there is a recipe for succulent strawberry blonde that has over 200 posts to it. Most brewers that have completed that recipe have racked the primary right on the frozen berries in the secondary. I am in the middle of this brew myself right now. I will be racking into my secondary this weekend on top of 7 pounds of strawberries and as some have done to curb the tartness of the strawberries I will be adding some lactose in with the berries.

I am on my 5th batch of my strawberry blonde and I like to take a duel approach to this. First I like to wash about two lbs. of strawberries and blend to mush to add a pink tint to the beer. Then I add the extract at bottling or kegging. I found using all real strawberries makes it to tart. This is a beer for my wife and she likes it a bit on the sweeter side.

Back