Lager stuck at 1050

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristfin

Reaction score
hi all,

i just brewed 5 gals of JZ bohemian pilsner a week ago. i was in a hurry going on a trip with the familiy and forgot to create the starter 2 days in advance as i had planned and only used one activator pack of bobemian lager in a one liter starter on the stirplate for 12 hours.

the OG was 1056, but now week later, at 12°C, it is 1050. i know i seriously underpitched, but i was hoping the brewing gods would work with me for once.

i don't have any bohemian yeast any more. but i have 820 san francisco lager. i also have an english ipa finishing off using nottingham. other yeasts i have are german ale, french saison, us05 and s04

i have several ideas how to salvage this fine pilsner, but i wanted your comment on what route to take.

1) create a 2 liter starter using 820, crank the temp to 15°C, stir up the pilsner, aerate it and pitch the starter.

2) when the english ipa goes in the keg, pour the pilsner on top of the yeast cake and crank the temp to 15-16°C. would end up with saas hopped blond ale

3) use the german ale and go for hopped kolsh

any ideas?

Personally I would not add a second yeast to it, however I have never brewed a lager so I am not sure how qualified I am to lend advice.

If it were an ale, I would aerate it and add some yeast nutrient and see if it takes off. How long has it been "stuck" at 1.050 for?

i pitched the yeast and ran away for a week. was just returning now and measured a sample, so i'm not sure how long it has been at 1050.

if it is a week in at 1050 it needs some help.

I would do a starter and repitch and see what happens.

Go to mrmalty.com and look up how much yeast you need for 1050 and make the appropriate starter.

If it were an ale, i would just say sprinkle some notty on top of the beer and let it rip, but being a lager that would not be the best option.

What makes you think it's stuck? My lagers take a long time to ferment, personally, (If this is wyeast 2124) I would lower the temp to 10C and check the gravity in another week.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

i was so impatient that i raised the temp to 14 and pitched nottingham. looking for crisp ale. it is fermenting away now

that said, i'm going to create another batch and pitch a proper starter of bohemian lager, so i have the comparison.

Back