Kegerator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsathome

Reaction score
Did anybody build a kegerator from a display fridge.I got one for free.Thinking to turn it into one.

Did anybody build a kegerator from a display fridge.I got one for free.Thinking to turn it into one.

Can you give us some more information? Maybe a picture. I can almost guarantee that this is possible, but it would help to see what you're working with.

Hi

It would be tricky, but you certainly can do it. The big question is weather the fridge makes it down to about 36F or not. Commercial gear can be *expensive* to keep running. Often that's why you can find it on the cheap...

Bob

Hi its small size about 35" high x 23" wide.It does not have a thermostat so if you leave it closed for a few hour it will start to froze the stuff that's inside.The opening and closing of the door regulate the temp.I will put an electronic thermostat in to keep an eye on that.
Thinking of building around it as a small bar(small top with tower dispenser),put it in backwards to have excess to the door(keep some beer/wine bottles cold)

2012-06-08 09.56.02.jpg

2012-06-08 09.56.19.jpg

2012-06-08 09.56.41.jpg

I've seen some on Craigslist. Depending on the size of it, you may want to and a temp controller and use it as a fermenter. Good score getting one of those free!

Hi

My bet is that there is a (broken) thermostat built into it. Put a STC-1000 from eBay on it for $18 and you are in business. I'd use it as a fermentation chiller, but that's just me.

Bob

I saw a lot of guys put the CO2 cylinder inside the kegerator.
What's the up and down of this?

It's just personal preference. If it's inside, you don't have to drill another hole in the fridge, also, you don't have to worry about caring for the tank when moving it.

If it's inside, it's just less clutter. I like mine inside.

Just be careful. If you change the temperature of the tank while it's holding pressure, it'll read differently when the temperature of the tank changes.

ratsathome said:

The ups: it hides the cylinder and regulator from view

The downs: I used to keep mine in my keezer but the low temps drops the partial pressure of the CO2. On the regulator it appears as though the tank is empty. When the tank is room temp I can better keep track of how much gas is left.

Hi

One down side is that if you have a dampness issue (many of us do) the regulator on the CO2 will not last as long as it would otherwise.

Bob

Back