Bottle Carbing temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
Been reading a lot on here but haven't posted much. I made the move last Jan. from Mr. Beer to 5 gallon extract bacthes. I have 4 cases of recently brewed beer carbing. One batch I just bottled (Irish Red) and a Pumpkin Ale that has been in the bottles for 1 week. We keep our house pretty cool in the winter, about 60-63F. I can let my bottles carb up anywhere in the house at about 60F, or I can move them into our boiler room that gets to around 70F or even warmer, but it is not consistent. I'm looking for the best place to get a good 2 week carbonation going...any suggestions? Thanks!

Carbonation is just another fermentation by the same strand of yeast that made your beer. If they're used to working in one spot in your house that's a steady temp, I wouldn't see any reason not to put your bottles in that exact same spot.

Check the recommended fermentation temps for the type of yeast you are using and go from there. I usually get mine into the case and let them carbonate right where I had it in the primary

Move it to the warm place. The temp and strain used for bottle conditioning have very, very little impact on the flavor of the beer. Heck, I've used T-58 at 80F for lagers. National beer judges were oblivious to the spicy Belgian strain.

Back