moving beer from primary without gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
I keep my primary in a chest freezer and would like to get the beer into a bottling bucket without disturbing the sediment. Perhaps some type of self-priming pump that is easy to Sanatize and not cause too much aeration would allow me to not have to lift the carboy?

You can use a carboy cap and push the beer out with CO2. I suppose you could push air in there with a daisy sprayer mod, too. You just need to push a racking tube with some tubing down one of the holes, then put your pressure (gas of some kind) on the other hole. I don't do this myself but I'm sure some people here do.

If you crash it to 33F for a few days the yeast will settle pretty good. I also hit most beers with gelatin to get it to cake on the bottom. The gelatin will form a bit of a barrier to hold it down.

11VkDRQPtdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I might try this with air, but I imagine the inside of my compressor's tank isn't pretty. I bet it would take a lot of CO2 so I won't bother with that (It is a hassle getting the tanks filled). The gelatin idea seems neat. Do you add that as the beer sits or is it done in the boil?

Anyone ever used a drill pump to move beer?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...productId=100145129&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

Does not take much CO2, all you need to do is push with 2-4psi. Air compressor and drill pumps are mistakes.

I will try the co2.

Also what about the march pump.. will that work without a gravity feed?

I'd just move it and then let the sediment resettle for an hour or two before transferring...your cheapest option.

The gelatin idea seems neat. Do you add that as the beer sits or is it done in the boil?

Just do a search (see t he Search pulldown above, use the Google version). Tons of info. You add it once fermentation is completely finished. Works best and fastest if the wort is very cold. Knox unflavored, from the grocery.

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a small vacuum pump (<2.0cfm if possible) then use the diagram provided to move beer from lower levels to higher levels without O2 contamination. You should purge any O2 from receiving keg or secondary prior to transfer to ensure the beer flow does not come into contact with O2. Set you vacuum to move the beer slowly so as not to create any foaming or aeration. I do not show it, but you should use an overflow vessel after the receiving cornie so that any foam or liquid does not make it back to the vacuum pump. Such an occurance would damage the pump.

Beer_Transfer.bmp

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/Beer_Transfer.bmp

Salute! :mug:

I used the co2 and carboy cap method last week for the first time. It was so easy and worked so well that I will NEVER siphon again.

Back