AHS Campden tabs amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ne0t0ky0

Reaction score
I've got chloramine in my local water and read that using the tabs will get rid of that. I've seen folks say half to a whole tab for ten gallons. The package instructions say one tab per gallon.... thoughts?

I think the one tablet per gallon is for bactericidal and fungicidal purposes.

Ah, that sounds right. The label does mention sanitizing...

Do most folks crush up the tab and stir in or just drop it in?

I crush and stir, and either let it sit for a few hours ( although the reaction occurs pretty fast), or pour it back and forth between a bucket and the kettle a few times, just to make sure that as many of the breakdown products can offgas.

i did a little research for this... not to much so i might be talking out of my bum...

1/4 a tablet will treat 5 gallons of water for chlorine purposes, basically it collects the +/- ion chlorine molecules and bonds to them... dont remember the whole thing.

all i do is pinch a piece off the tablet and sprinkle it in the water while it is warming up to temperature. (make sure it is like dust not still compacted)

1 whole tablet is for like the poster above for bacteria and fungus... you dont want that much for this purpose. (use in wine and fruity stuff, i used it in hard cider making before)

I read a little on the internet - not from a book - previously, and a poster on a site did some experimenting with campden. He said that he found the addition of campden resulted in immediate action so that chloramine was no longer detectable as soon as it dissovles. FWIW.

Back