Malt Aroma / Sweetness in pale ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
Does anyone have a trick to getting a very pronounced malt flavor and aroma in a pale ale or blonde? Examples of what I'm talking about are Firestone-Walker's Union Jack IPA and Pale 31. Another that I noticed was Indian Wells Brewing Co's Mojave Gold (even though I'm not a fan of that beer).

All of these beers seem to have a very pronounced sweetness and grainy flavor that I can't seem to replicate. If nobody has a way that they are able to replicate it, at least let me know that you notice it to so I can know I'm not crazy!

There are a couple of ways to get a pronounced maltiness. One is technique - decoction - the other is inclusion of specialty grains like Melanoidin, Aromatic or a relatively high proportion of Munich or Vienna malts.

I've never had any of those beers, and I know nothing about them, so I can't speak specifically to what they might include.

Firestone-Walker's website says the grist consists of Two-Row, Munich, CaraPils, and Simpson’s Light Crystal. According to the website, these are the parameters:
  • Alcohol By Volume- 7.5%
  • Color - 8L (Pale)
  • IBU- 72 (High)
Hopefully this helps!

Bob

Don't forget the yeast strain! Just like certain yeast strains emphasize hops (or not), the same is true for maltiness. I've got as tube of White labs Pacific Ale that I'm itching to try as it is supposed to promote malty flavors.

A popular ale yeast from the Pacific Northwest. The yeast will clear from the beer well, and leave a malty profile. More fruity than WLP002, English Ale Yeast. Good yeast for English style ales including milds, bitters, IPA, porters, and English style stouts.

If you are looking for sweetness I recommend White labs Saison II (WLP566). For an upcoming IPA, I'm going to divide it 4:1 into carboys and ferment the 1 gal with WLP566, and then blend in the keg with the ofther 4 that had the regular yeast. I might also use it straight up for a Belgian pale ale. I used this yeast for a BIG "saison" (10% ABV). This beer fermented down to 1.008, but still tastes fairly sweet - even when clear. If I swirl the keg to suspend the little bit of yeast, then it tastes even sweeter. This beer scored a 33 in a recent competition and it got dinged for not having enough attenuation. I entered it as a Belgian Golden Strong and they said it was too sweet even though it was near the bottom of the BJCP FG range guidlines (1.006 - 1.016). The yeast fooled the judges. I just sent it out again, but this time as a triple. We'll see how it does.

Back