Can you Brew It recipe for Magic Hat Roxy Rolles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1060
FG ?
IBU 41.7
SRM 19.7

WLP002

11.7 lbs Marris Otter
1.39 lbs Crystal 80
0.84 lbs caramunich

18.4g Northern Brewer 8.5% AA at 60m
24g Simcoe 11.9%AA at 30m
24g Simcoe at 0m

Mash at 152

Discussion from Jamil, Tasty, and Chad:

There was a lengthy discussion regarding water, but no specific advice given. The take-home point is that a moderate amount of gypsum would benefit water of average hardness.

I brewed this recipe and it was fantastic! I haven't had Roxy Rolles in awhile but it was exactly how I remember it. I think the Simcoe is what makes the beer. I actually entered this into my first competition and got pretty good feedback. Ended up scoring a 38.5/50, which I was pretty happy with.

Thanks, and here's the next question. I'm assuming there's no such thing as "Marris Otter DME". What's the closest thing I should use?

got it, very cool.

now, because that is the base malt and i'll be using an extract version of it, does that mean I will not need any marris otter grain in my steeping bag with the other specialty grains?
if you think I should use some with the specialty grains how much MO should I use?

Thanks

I would say you could just steep your specialty grains and just use the lme like any other extract brew

Back