A stronger Berliner Weiss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatten

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has ever brewer a Berliner Weiss type beer, but up'd the starting gravity. I'm curious what the results would be like.

I love the sourness of Berliner Weiss, but don't really want to drink a 2-3% beer.

Lambic's are one option, but I just can't get past the Brett Horsey'ness.

Thanks,
Scott

I think one reason for the lower gravity is that the lacto will poop out at a fairly low alcohol level and you wont get the sourness you want. I know pedio can handle more alcohol but also will make a tarter beer and you have to worry about diacetyl.

Lacto is supposed to be good to around 8%. No reason why it shouldn't work, but let the lacto get it's count up before letting the sach go to work.

Good to know didnt think it would go that high. Only one way to find out how it will turn out.

Try making a recipe with 50/50 pale/pilsner malt and wheat malt and about 10 ibu of mash/first wort hops. Do a decoction mash with no or short boil. Pitch the lacto a couple days ahead of the sach. Around 8# of each malt should get you into the 8% range:rockin:

I did a berliner up to a sg of about 1.060 and used the wyeast berliner weisse blend and it turned out fantastic. after about 6 months, the souring got really intense, and it took a little longer than that for the brett to adequately come through, but patience was rewarded.

I think I used about 60%pils and 40% wheat, 1/2 oz noble hops boiled for 5 minutes to sterilize and then aged in the primary for 6 months.

Back