Northern Brewer Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coeceo

Reaction score
Brewed and bottled this bad boy as my 3rd try at homebrewing. This was easy and I would highly recommend it to any new brewers. I skipped the secondary (full of apfelwein at the moment) and let it sit in the primary for 10 days between 65-72 room temp (fermenter remained in recommended temp for the yeast).

I siphoned to a bottling bucket and did the gentle stir while bottling after priming. It has been in the bottle for 4 days, due to my impatience I still cracked one, ot was GOOD at only 4 days! Slight carbonation (Id say similiar to a stout at this point) which actually complimented the flavor. Slight seperation in the bitterness and malt taste so I know this thing is going to be awesome once its set for a few weeks. This is definately a quick turnaround brew.

I know how hard it is to let them sit but patience is a must. Every beer you crack early is one that you won’t be able to drink later when it’s good. Just brew some more to take your mind off it.

And congrats on the good beer.

Dude, please give it some time. I brewed that one and kegged it and drank way to much way to fast. Then the last gallon or so was so good and I was pissed when it was gone. Wait it out. I'm up to my 6th batch and I try to wait 4 weeks minimum before I even get into it at all. WAIT.

Good to know your experience with Norther Brewer was a good one. I'm considering cheating on my LHBS and buying their Altbier kit.

My first brew was a NB Nut Brown and it turned out awesome. I also cracked one open early at about five days and it was carbed and tasty. I let mine sit in primary for two weeks and then bottled. I saved my yeast/trub and it's stored in the fridge for later use. I only have two left plus one sample I have set aside for future reference.

I just finished bottling my second brew which is a NB Phat Tyre Ale. With this one it set in primary for a week, then secondary for two weeks. I'm gonna try to leave them in the bottle for at least three. So far I am pleased with both of my Northern Brewer kits. Northern Brewer was highly recommended by a few people on this board, so now I would recommend them to anyone starting out as well.

The NB nut brown ale is the first kit I ever brewed and it was a great one. But I did like evandam and had half my keg gone (yes, I made the mistake of hooking up the lines as I was conditioning it) before it got nicely conditioned. I was kinda pissed at myself.

This has conditioned for over a month now and does get better with age, the SWMBO now likes it quite a bit. Everyone who tries it has trouble believing its a homebrew and my boss says he likes it much better than Newcastle which is a compliment. Highly recommended kit and company.

Back