New to kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geim32

Reaction score
I put my recipe into beersmith and its calling for 15 psi to force carb the beer. My question is how many days do I force carb I can't find it anywhere in the program. Most people say to put 30 psi on it for a day or so but 15 psi for how many days? Thanks.

If 15 psi at your kegerator temperature give you your desired volumes of CO2, then just leave it at that pressure till the keg is kicked. It'll take 1-3 weeks to be fully carbonated. I'd suggest trying it after 10-14 days, chances are it'll be mostly ready at that point.

If you serve at 4 psi the beer will slowly go flat. Keep it at the proper pressure and make sure you have a long enough beer line and you'll have no problem.

So I've looked at the charts on force carbing but again it only says how many psi and the temp but not duration so how many days does it take to reach the level of carbonation?

There is a hundreds of threads on your questions! I just kegged my first one. I think it depends on what kind of beer your kegging, equipment,fridge,keezer, temp, line length,etc. I've read a lot and just went with what I thought was right. I filled my keg with 5 gal of pumpkin spice porter,hooked new reg. and put in fridge at 40 deg. Put co2 at 45 psi and purged. New co2 tank said 700. Checked 12 hr later, keg said 36psi and tank is 475. I think drop in pressure is from getting cold. Checked 12 hr later after that, everything same. Did a sample, tasted great, still not carbed yet, a little flat. I think it will be ready in a day or two. I've learned alot here, but your going to have to experiment for yourself. Good luck!

Back