Conical/lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cudaman

Reaction score
Hello. I brewed my first lager last Sunday. I'm using a conical and was wondering if and when I should dump the yeast/trub. I'm fermenting at 50 degrees and I'm not seeing very much airlock activity. I realize lagers are slow going and was planning on at least a 3 week primary ferment. Any tips for a first timer?
Thanks.
Russ

I never used a conical, but I would imagine dumping the yeast would be the same as transferring to a secondary or "lagering tank". I do this after primary fermentation is complete and I've done a diacetyl rest, if necessary. I usually end up doing this at the 2 week mark on medium-gravity lagers.

I have never made a Lager but have a conical and I can say don't wait.

I made a porter using dry yeast and had no intention of harvesting the yeast. Consequently I was in no hurry to dump it. I think 4-5 days into the ferment was the first time and it took roughly 45 mins. Much easier to tend to it every day or two.

Back