Mashing Wheat, Dough In etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloose

Reaction score
This weekend I'm planning on doing my first AG wheat beer. I've done an extract hefe before, but since going AG i've been on a pale ale kick for the last 15 batches or so, and I'm looking for some variety. I'm a lazy batch sparger. i heat my strike water, pour it into the preheated igloo, then dough in my grains while stirring. i get decent utilization (up to 88% based on the mill, average 82%) from my 10gal igloo cooler.

My grain bill is 6lbs 2 row, 4lbs wheat, 1/2lb rice hulls.

The LHBS where i bought my grain instructed me to take a scoop of 2row, a scoop of rice hulls, then wet them down with my mash water, repeating until my rice and barley are gone. Then mash in the wheat on top, wetting as I go, and then add the rest of my strike water.

Obviously just pouring the grains into the strike water for my dough in and then stirring isn't going to work if I want to avoid a stuck sparge. Does anyone have any experience and or insight about this?

The LHBS seemed a bit granola and set in his ways for my taste, but he's got a lot more experience than I do at this obviously. He also told me that I should be using this method for ALL beers (not just beers with rice hulls/wheat), and it would increase my efficiency. I'm not so sure at that last statement, 82% seems just fine to me for batch sparging.

thanks for any help in advance.

i also was just planning on a single infusion mash at 152F, as I don't really have the capability of doing a protein rest (my blichmann doesnt have a false bottom, its just my BK)

I have a false bottom in my 10 gallon igloo cooler. I just dump everything in and stir like crazy. The rice hulls have never had an issue with stuck sparge. My lhbs instructed me to mash a wheat for 90 minutes for full conversion fwiw. Cheers.

I have a false bottom in my 10 gallon igloo cooler. I just dump everything in and stir like crazy. The rice hulls have never had an issue with stuck sparge. My lhbs instructed me to mash a wheat for 90 minutes for full conversion fwiw. Cheers.

excellent. sounds like a plan.

Back