Question My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim2akat2

Reaction score
I got a 1 gallon all grain kit for my Birthday and am brewing it up tonight. I know 5 gallons just as easy but hey it was a gift. I figure if it works out I will get a 5 gallon kit and use the one gallon for test brews. It is hard to believe that the my brown wort is going to be an IPA I know I know patience will be rewarded. Now my question what should I do with the spent grains? I don't want to just throw them away. Should I dry them and feed to the squirrels and deer can they be used for something else I really appreciate any help? Thanks Tim

I toss mine in my flowerbeds but they attract flies so I try to mulch them into the ground pretty good.

I got a 1 gallon all grain kit for my Birthday and am brewing it up tonight. I know 5 gallons just as easy but hey it was a gift. I figure if it works out I will get a 5 gallon kit and use the one gallon for test brews. It is hard to believe that the my brown wort is going to be an IPA I know I know patience will be rewarded. Now my question what should I do with the spent grains? I don't want to just throw them away. Should I dry them and feed to the squirrels and deer can they be used for something else I really appreciate any help? Thanks Tim

Make pizza dough!

I usually just throw mine in the compost heap, but you could use about a cup or so to add to a loaf of bread. Most of the nutrients have been stripped and unless you want to dry them out and pulverize them to make flour there isn't much to do with them besides use them as an anecdotal additive in some kind of bread product.

You can actually make some decent dog treats with them if you have a dog or two.. Take 2 cups of spent grains, 2 cups flour, 1 cup peanut butter, 2 eggs. shell and all if you want, wont hurt.. mix it really well .. roll it out and use a cookie cutter to what ever size is best for your dog... put them on a cookie sheet and bake at 200*F for around 2.5-3.5 hours.. but start checking them around 2 hours.. you can freeze your spent grains in freezer bags until you make the treats, but keep the Cooked dog treats airtight, should be good to keep for 2-3 weeks..

I throw mine in the trash(with cans and plastic bottles) in order to fill up waste managements land resources.

Do whatever you can with them,cookies,bread,dog treats it doesnt take much and you will still have some left over,feed chickens, i threw them in a patch of grass that wasnt growing good in the summer and it actually filled in good after.Start composting it probably would be great for it.

Latest posts

Back