Possible Chlorophenol in wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafeeker

Reaction score
OK, I'm going to give u guys all the info i can. Firstly, the beer in question here is a watermelon wheat, the recipe used basically half 2row half wheat, some 10 crystal and the yeast was WLP 320 american hefeweizen. I customized my water to emulate Munich with distilled and brewing salt additions. I made a 2 L starter for the yeast. I brewed it a week ago and pitched the yeast. Fermented at 65-68. After about a day, i had to install a blowoff tube because of the top ferm yeast, which i expected. After a day with the blow off tube, i removed and replaced with airlock because had to use the tube for another beer. Anyway, i racked today to a carboy with watermelon juice. When i opened the bucket, the krausen was still there, and a hydrometer reading read about 1.022, with an est FG of 1.015. I racked anyway, and its now in the carboy. My problem was, when i tasted the sample from the hydrometer, it tasted chlorophenolic, or so i think. It was kinda like plasticy. The only way i know what chlorophenol is like is that i brewed a schwarzbier a while back that came out tasting and smelling like "bandaid," and i read in Yeast that this is caused by chlorophenols. The flavor in the sample reminded me of this flavor. So i guess my question is, is my beer F'd? Has anyone had experience with this yeast? And WTF caused this? Is it infection? Anyway, any response appreciated and sorry about the novel.

Think i may have answered my own damn question. I cleaned my mash tun with bleach a batch or two ago because it got moldy. This must be where the chlorine came in, as i used distilled and my tap water is from a well, which shouldnt contain chlorine. SOB! So, the question is, how can i get the bleach residue out of my mash tun to ensure this doesnt happen again?

Back