spider mites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcory77

Reaction score
I see some little brown dots on the back side of some leafs. I also see some small spider webs. Spider mites? I can post pics tomorrow if needed.

thanks.

I'll try to post a picture later today. I don't see anything moving around, or maybe I am not looking hard enough. When I run my finger across the brown dot they smear the brown and is sticky. But with the webs I ahve seen I thought spider mite from the get go.

i have had quite a hard time with spider mites. words cannot even describe my hatred for them. i pick off all leaves that are affected by them, put them in a pile and burn them. I think spray with insecticidal soap. I also try to spray them with water a couple times a day as they do not like wet environments. do not use a pesticide such as seven or eight. Beetles were eating my leaves and i sprayed eight on them, immediately afterwards the mites invaded the plants.

Well, I sprayed with water and have not seen much to take a picture of.........i guess i will keep spraying a couple of times a day. If I see them again I will get a pic.

While I was spraying today this guy flew off the bine........what the heck is he, some kind of beetle? I numchucked his sorry butt. He was doing some damage man!!!!!!

397-img00107-20100731-1504.jpg

Looks like a pirate bug. Did it have needle like beak before you squashed it?

They bite but more importantly they eat mites and aphids.

Your cavalry arrived to help and you squashed him

Oh, no, we suck again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an idiot. What else can I say?!!!

Wicked little creature......I thought he came to pillage my hops and take my beer, and he only came to help. Sorry little dude.

Or her. the nymph probably came with her sisters and they will lay eggs soon and then there will be larvae and the process will start over again. Where the food is the predators will come to to feed. Welcome them!

If the pirate bug bit you would definately want to kill it because it hurts and raises welts.

Not all bugs are bad-- embrace the ugly. They have a carnivorous job to do.

Oh and google lacewing larvea-- they are so useful and ugly little biting dragon creatures but you want them!
Really you do!

i can attest to the fact that they do bite, but 'ugly', come on, they're the best. i wouldn't call an ally 'ugly' unless it was about 3:00 am after we'd polished off a case or so and the fire was going out!

Back