Firearms afficionados

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Any handgun fanciers out there. Looking to see if anyone has had the chance to shoot/evaluate the Springfield 9mm XD sub-compact, or the Ruger LCP .380.

fired the xd 9 compact, but not the sub. i assume its pretty similar to the glock 26, which i have fired and do not like ( i have big ass hands ) but the springfield was very nice to shoot. i personally carry a glock19c which is just about the absolute most smoothest shooting, most controllable, most accurate (out to 75 yard) handgun i own and have ever fired. but i have to say, the xd is a nice piece of machinery.

It's amazing, most of the weapons on-line are on back order. Must be because of our left wing president. In Fla., I think I read that applications for concealed weapons have a backlog of something like 80,000!!!!

The recoil on the 19c must be almost non-existent with the compensator ports.

quite honestly - buy what fits your hand best and what you can shoot best. I love my full size HK USP .40 S&W, but some people would rather shoot a walther or smith....

your comfort with using the firearm should be #1. (well, unless you buy a Lorcin)

My reloading bench is across the workshop[ from my brew setup.

In general folks that have an XD rave about them. The LCP would not be my first choice.

BUT, AZ IPA is right on the ball about both handguns and also cameras. If you are picking among good quality stuff (Springfield, Glock, Sig Sauer, Smith and Wesson, OR Nikon, Olympus, Canon); you will not go wrong choosing the one that fits your hand the best.

Unless you have huge hands, I'd go for the .380. I have a Walther PPK and I barely know it's there when I'm walking in the woods.
It feels like I'm carrying an anchor when I have my 9mm P-89.

The recoil on the 19c must be almost non-existent with the compensator ports.[/QUOTE]

yes pavlovscat, thats why i carry it, i can get back on target in less than half a second. that gun has almost no muzzle flip and it shoots so smooth.

i also have a hk usp .40 fullsize and used to carry it. you cannot carry that gun concealed, its too bulky. thats the reason i bought the glock. the hk is EXTREMELY accurate. itll give my glock a run for the money. for shooting large caliber flat nose rounds compared to a small bore high velocity round, and being more accurate, thats saying something for that piece. but the glock gets the job done. attackers are never at long range anyway, so why do you need something that can knock the spade off an ace of spades at 100 yards??

Own Springfield XD sub-compact 9mm- LOVE IT! My only complaint are the safety indicators- the top one works as it's supposed to, but the front and rear indicators to show that a round is in the chamber always seem to stay the same. I checked out the local store and all of them are like mine, so maybe I am just being stupid.... Not worth me sending it in and being without out :)

Fire couple hundred rounds at firing range up at camp, easy tear down and cleaning. The sight takes some adjusting (top of sight ~25 and under, dead on sight over). Wish it was adjustable.

your chambered round indicator that you are referring to is a function of california approved versions. in all other states, it is inoperable.

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT (Ruger copied it) and love it. It is not for everyone since it is so small and has some snap to it. People that try it often stove pipe it when they don't grip it well. Best advice -
quite honestly - buy what fits your hand best and what you can shoot best.

I have an XDm 40 Compact, and I really like it. However, the XD you're talking about is a slightly different gun. If it fits, snag it. The XD/XDm series are quality pistols.

The LCP failed to impress me, as did the Kel-Tec P3AT. Both feel cheap, they're both difficult to shoot, and I despise the lack of a magazine follower that will lock the slide on the last shot. Even so, I'd rather own either of those than the Taurus TCP. My TCP failed to chamber/extract rounds on a consistent basis, even after warranty work. I traded it for store credit a while ago. I like the S&W Bodyguard 380. It feels like a real gun, has enough weight to offset the snappy recoil, and it has real sights. It's no bigger than the others, but it offers a much better feel. The trigger pull sucks, but they all share that. I'm not in love with the built in laser, but it is a nice feature. The S&W's thumb safety is useless - hard to disengage, harder to engage, and entirely unnecessary when you're faced with a 12 lb trigger pull with a ton of take-up. However, the safety really doesn't detract from the gun...I just don't use it. I do like the DAO "second strike" capability - especially with cheap target ammo that has hard primers. The occasional misfire with cheap ammo makes for good training - trigger pull, trigger pull, tap, rack, bang. Those same misfires will also draw your attention to any flinch issues. I have never experienced a misfire in the BG 380 with brand name ammo, just the cheap stuff (MagTech, S&B, etc).

The guns you are comparing are vastly different, though. If you think you need a pocket gun for easy concealment, go with a pocket gun. If you'd rather have a nearly full sized pistol with significantly more mag capacity, go with the XD. It's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison in my book.

I use a walther ppk and have a license to kill. Hard as he'll to get, anyone else been able to get one? My license number is 009.

The recoil on the 19c must be almost non-existent with the compensator ports.

It really has more to do with the shooter and skill than a tiny compensator for an underpowered cartridge on a short barrel.

I assume you are planning on carrying, due to the size you are looking at, generally 9mm is a better choice ballistically and can be fed much cheaper than 380.

The guns you are comparing are vastly different, though. If you think you need a pocket gun for easy concealment, go with a pocket gun. If you'd rather have a nearly full sized pistol with significantly more mag capacity, go with the XD. It's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison in my book.

I agree...and that's why we bought both. I carry the LCP because of the size. On the range the XD shoots great, very accurate while the LCP is less consistent so far. It is small in your hand and combined with the really long tigger pull I find it harder to hold on target. Gonna take more practice. I can definitely hit what I need to hit with the LCP but with the XD the bullseye paper is all gone after a couple mags. I like both guns, for different reasons.

It all depends on what you are planning to do with it. I like the LCP as a backup or pocket gun but its awfully hard to hit with it beyond 12 yards. I really like my Springfield 1911 in .45 for my duty weapon but it is hard to conceal. I usually carry my Glock 22 off duty, it tucks up tight in a fobus paddle holster.

Back