Might be a stupid question, but... - (reusing yeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel compelled to ask it. I read in The Joys of Homebrewing about culturing your own yeast from the trub in the bottom of the primary. My question is, say I am making another beer as my first comes out of the primary, can i hold some of the trub from the current brew aside in a sterile container and then pitch that into my current wort? I understand i would have to be very careful to ensure no contamination, but would that work? In my head it should work just fine because if you can make cultures from it, it should work, but i am wrong quite often so i figured i would check with people that know a lot more than me.

Yeah, you can pitch right on top of the old yeast cake thats in the primary or you could wash the yeast for later use.

Good luck,
Mike

cool guys, thanks a lot. Like I said I figured this would work but the last thing I would need it to mess up a whole batch cause I was wrong. Thanks again :)

Back