brewing my first stout - extract recipe - critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentx3

Reaction score
specialty grains:
1/2 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb black malt

6 lbs amber lme (3 lbs at 60 mins, adding the rest with the 10 min hop addition)
1 lb lactose

60 min hop: 1/2 oz german magnum
10 min hop: 1 oz willamette

yeast: safale s-04

i should mention i do not care about style guidelines, but i am hoping for some of the sweetness/creaminess from a milk stout but also want some nice bitter roasty/coffee flavor to balance it a bit. i have done about 7-8 beers now, but have never done a darker beer, only belgian pales, saisons and ipa's, so this is definitely new to me. i asked a friend and he suggested that the speciality grains may make it too astrigent, but again i do want to have some nice bitterness to counter the sweetness.

what do you all think? should i cut back on the grains? anything i should add?

Might want to throw some crytal in there for some additional flavor.

As you're looking for a creaminess on the order of a milk stout, maybe consider adding some lactose?

To me, that recipe looks to have just the right amount of the dark grain.....for a 15 or 20 gallon batch but it is lacking in the malt extract. Some people like their stouts to have lots of roastiness but that looks extreme to me. JMHO

Back