SUPER Easy LOVE TSS2 controller set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBelli

Beer Lover
Reaction score
I had the chance to replace my old ferm chamber buy a new larger one that holds 2 carboys so I grabbed it...
but I couldn't figure out how to program the damn LOVE controller...
The online help from LOVE was confusing and the threads on the subject confused me even more.

So a buddy of mine showed me the easiest way to set the up the controller.
So easy in fact that I'm compelled to share it with everyone.

The only thing I want to do (and suspect every brewer too) is to set a single ferment temp (1 SET POINT).
if the temp goes above the setpoint turn on the fridge -or- if the temp goes below the setpoint to turn the heat on.

There is an easy way to set the LOVE unit up to act this way...
essentially you tell the LOVE unit to only use 1 SET POINT (the ferm temp) instead of 2
and set a band differential to that SET POINT (This is the degrees above & below the SET POINT that will switch the cold and heat on )

Here is an example
Lets say you want the Fermentation Temp of 66 degrees....
and you want the fridge to come on at 67 degrees and the heater to come on at 65 degrees....
all you need to do is
1. set fermentation temp (SP1) to 66 and
2. set the band differential (r3) to 1.0 degree (This is the degrees above & below the SET POINT that will switch the cold and heat on )

I think all the confusion confusion lies in tha fact that the controller factory setup used 2 setpoints and 2 differentials for each....way too overkill for a fermentation chamber.
by following the programming below you bypass the second SET POINT and just use one..... super easy and simple to do.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HERE IS THE PROGRAMMING YOU NEED TO DO (one time only)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Set the MODE to "Neutral Area Mode" (nEU) ..... (this is what bypasses SET POINT 2)

to do this you need to go into programming mode... (press and hold "SET BUTTON" for 8 seconds)
then "0" will display and blink.... once this starts blinking press "SET BUTTON" once again you should now see SP1
at this point use up & down arrow to find "r8". Once "r8" is showing press the "SET BUTTON" once again and use the up arrow to set it to "nEU"

2. Set the "Minimum Relay Stop Time" (c0)...... (this is a safety thing to keep the compressor from burning out)
to do this you need to go into programming mode... (press and hold "SET BUTTON" for 8 seconds)
then "0" will display and blink.... once this starts blinking press "SET BUTTON" once again you should now see SP1
at this point use up & down arrow to find "c0". Once "c0" is showing press the "SET BUTTON" once again and use the up arrow to set it to "10.0"
What this step does is prevent the compressor from "cycling" on and off quicker than 10 minute intervals.

3. Set the "Band Differential" (r3).... (difference the temp needs to change above & below the set point to turn the cold and heat on)
I use 1 degree (actually a 2 degree span... 1 degree above and 1 degree below )
at this point use up & down arrow to find "r3". Once "r3" is showing press the "SET BUTTON" once again and use the up arrow to set it to "1.0" (or whatever you decide)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THIS IS THE END OF PROGRAMMING (never need to program again.. Promise!)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THIS STEP IS THE ONLY THING YOU WILL EVER NEED TO CHANGE
From here on out you will only need to set the fermentation temp for the beer....

1. tap the "SET BUTTON" it should show you the temp of OUT1 (red LED showing under OUT1) then use the up & down arrows to set your fermentation temp. (66.0 in my example above)
2. tap the "SET BUTTON" again and this is the temp of OUT2 (red LED showing under OUT2) this temp is irrelevant because the controller bypasses this setting when in (nEU) mode I set mine to 0.0 and just press set again.
You should now see the temp the probe is reading and you are all done!!!

END STEP

note.... OUT1 is my cooling and OUT2 is my heating...

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for information on how to program my Love temperature controller. I am surprised that there is not a sticky on this subject.

Mark

Dear CBelli

I came across your detail instructions in the love temp controls for a fermenter. I am building a Brutus 10 and I am planing in using my temp controls for mashing. I was wondering if you have any idea in how to program it. I really appreciate any help.
Thanks
louie

I have wired three of these now, and figured I should document and share how it was done. One is a keggerator fermenter chamber, another is a dry hop chamber, another a cold crashing fridge (single channel). They work quite well at keeping temps at +\- 1F. This should help get it going.

IMG_1747.jpg

Back