All Grain Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djansen00

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a relatively newbie...started brewing in the fall doing extract and just switched over to all grain. I brewed some awesome extract brews but the two all grain batches I've done have been mediocre. I'm looking for help in trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here's the story:

Both all grain batches I've done are versions of extract brews I did that turned out great. Both of them, though, came out way darker in color than they should have. They also both have a harsher taste with a bit of an upfront bite...almost alcohol like but not quite. Although the brown I did first is starting to mellow out after a while.

I'm batch sparging in a converted cooler mashtun. My water temps when I'm mashing and sparging have been right on....my OG and FG numbers are damn close to what they should be as well. I've been doing primary for 8 days, secondary for 8-10, bottling for 2 weeks. This is the same process I did with the extract beers that turned out great although I know (from reading here) that a lot of people ferment longer.

As I was writing this I started to wonder if it could possibly be a water measurement calculation problem. I've been using this calculator: http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

Any other thoughts about what I should check?

Thanks in advance!

When you say that your temps are right on, what temperature measurements are you seeing? Saccharification temp? Strike temp (do you pour grains onto your strike water, or strike water onto grains)? Mash-out water temp, and/or sparge water temp?

Back