Do I need to do anything with a week old yeast starter prior to using it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I prepared a 1 Liter yeast starter last Saturday that I didn't get to use. So I placed it in the refrigerator, decanted off part of the old wort and poured the yeast into sanitized jars. Now I would like to use it this weekend.

Should I just let it warm to room temp the day of pitching or should I made another starter to get it going again? If I make another starter just to help start the activity should I make the SG lower than the typical 1.035-1.040? I was thinking of shooting for 1.020 but I may be overthinking this process.

thanks for any info.

msa8967 said:
I prepared a 1 Liter yeast starter last Saturday that I didn't get to use. So I placed it in the refrigerator, decanted off part of the old wort and poured the yeast into sanitized jars. Now I would like to use it this weekend.

Should I just let it warm to room temp the day of pitching or should I made another starter to get it going again? If I make another starter just to help start the activity should I make the SG lower than the typical 1.035-1.040? I was thinking of shooting for 1.020 but I may be overthinking this process.

thanks for any info.

Your first starter was to propagate the yeast to appropriate cell count. If you need a 1L starter, you're done. Just swirl up the settled yeast, bring to room temperature, and pitch. If you need a larger starter volume, now is the time to step it up. Use the same gravity, 1.040, just more volume.

msa8967 said:
My volume was correct but I did not know if the viability of the yeast count would drop much by a week later.

thanks for the reply.

A week should make an insignificant difference. A month, perhaps. But a week old slurry should be raring to go.

Back