• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Kobalt Portable Compressed CO2 Regulator *Lowes*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblizz

Reaction score
Kobalt Portable Compressed Co2 Regulator -- $22.49

Taken from slickdeals.net
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3622374

I think these are normally $89.99, site is showing $22.49 and rings up that as well. Mixed reviews, but Lowes stands behind Kobalt and you can always take it back. When I got mine it hooked up just fine but i did notice once i removed and replaced the bottle a couple of times its started leaking pretty bad. The Oring on the bottle was loose fitting and it was kinking when screwing on. I replaced the oring with a size smaller and it works like a charm now. In the kit they give you black replacement orings, just replace the clear one on the bottle with one of those and you are set.

Shop Kobalt Portable Compressed Co2 Regulator at Lowes.com

Would love to use this as a portable keg set-up. For you guys who get this would you think this would be a valid option. It is even cheaper to get this than to get an adapter to use a paintball tank on a regular CO2 tank. Any reviews and opinions would be great.

Chromados

Just picked mine up. Here are some pics

image-3435280057.jpg

image-4232365927.jpg

image-4217099803.jpg

Shows up at that price till I pick my store then it goes to 63. Oh well.

I just bought a full 20 oz tank from them for 20 bucks. Not bad. I wish this was available at my local store, I need a CO2 setup dedicated to pushing beer from keg to keg, also to purge bottles and such.

I went and picked one up today, pretty happy with how it looks. With a couple fittings it should be perfect to use as a portable co2 tanks.

Chromados

Great post! Went to get mine today. Lowes at the store had them on clearance for $44. Showed the store manager the add for the internet price, and she matched it! Total steal!

All of my local Lowe's are sold out and the ones even within 60 miles that have it showed the price as full price. If any HBTer is generous enough to pickup and extra, I'd obviously graciously appreciate and pay all shipping costs plus a "convenience fee" if requested.

I'll be picking up mine tomorrow. Funny that I missed this deal on SD since I browse that site even more than HBT.

Now I'll need a cheap tank and a way to fill it from my 20# one. Any suggestions?

I'll be picking up mine tomorrow. Funny that I missed this deal on SD since I browse that site even more than HBT.

Now I'll need a cheap tank and a way to fill it from my 20# one. Any suggestions?

You won't be able to get a decent fill from a standard 20# tank. "Trans-filling" requires the source have a siphon or dip tube to pick up the liquid from the bottle the same as a cornie. However if you get a large tank with a siphon tube you can use one of these. You can probably find one cheaper on Amazon or Ebay.

Some sporting goods stores and most paintball locations will fill these bottles as well. You can sometimes find used bottles for reasonable prices at paintball locations as well.

Or you can do like I do and turn the 20 pounder upside down. I can get 16oz in a 20 oz tank without cooling the smaller tank down.

Glad to know that works. I was just about to mention that as a possibility. I guess I will be looking for a cheaper trans-filling station.

Just picked one of these up today, $43 for the regulator and tank is not a bad deal in my book. Will have to figure a way to connect it to a corny for pushing cleaner through.

Greg

Just picked one of these up today, $43 for the regulator and tank is not a bad deal in my book. Will have to figure a way to connect it to a corny for pushing cleaner through.

Greg

Not much to figure out really. A couple barbed ends, some high pressure hose and voila.

2011-12-18%25252019.23.29.jpg

Just pick one up today, thanks to Shelly Belly for telling me about it at work. One thing I noticed inside my box is a sticker that says to refill all I have to do is take my used cylinder to the help desk and they give you a voucher for the cylinder you get a new cylinder from the shelf and pay using the voucher to only pay for the refill price. The sticker didn't give a price but it looks like a cool way to refill that little tank if the price is right.

Or you can do like I do and turn the 20 pounder upside down. I can get 16oz in a 20 oz tank without cooling the smaller tank down.

What happens when you overfill your little tank and it blows up?

This is a dumb idea.

What happens when you overfill your little tank and it blows up?

This is a dumb idea.

A lot of people actually do this and I wouldn't say its dumb.

These smaller co2 tank should never blow up under normal circumstances. These tanks all have a burst disc that if the co2 tank pressure of the tank goes above ~2200+ PSI, the disc will burst and release the co2 preventing the tank from blowing up.
My 20 lbs co2 tank has a max psi output of ~1800 PSI so you shouldn't even be able to blow up that disc let alone the co2 tank itself. I'm willing to bet these co2 tanks are hydro tested to 3500 PSI+

You can't 'overfill' a 20oz co2 tank- once 20oz of liquid co2 is in the tank its full and won't accept any more co2. But regardless of the amount of co2 in a tank- the psi should be the same whether its half empty or completely full.

As long as your co2 tanks are in date you shouldn't have a problem.

We used to fill paintball bottles all the time. We did get some overfilled, but like it was stated before, the burst disk reduced the danger. You might have to do some work on the bottle but, not a big deal. We used a sharpened rifle casing to punch disks from a pop can for replacement disks. They blew at a safe pressure, but do your own tests if you pursue this. Cans seem to change depending on what was in em and i dont remember what we used.

Also, you'll save a bunch of O rings if you'll unthread the bottle from the device a turn or two then dump the pressure from the line. After that, you can unscrew the bottle from the paintball gun or whatever without the pssshhhheettttt solund of 1800 psi passing by the O ring at its weakest contact point. I know these things. I used to be the worst about wrecking O rings. :)

Most paintballers have moved to hi pressure air tanks so there should be some filling stations around for cheap.

30 bucks after tax in centeral Ks. for the one I scored.

Swifty

I finally found one. I was driving through Connecticut on the way to Mass. And decided to call the lowes in New Haven and they had 2. So if there is anyone in the area that's wants one they have 1 more.

Update: I went back to pick up another Full CO2 cylinder for $20 bucks and they had dropped the price to $16. I picked up 2 more and got my 8 bucks back for the 2 I bought yesterday.

I picked one up this afternoon. (Last one in the KC Northland, for all my KC brethren) Thanks jblizz for bringing this to my attention.

I also got a couple odds and ends to be able to hook it up to a gas quick disconnect.
Pretty easy to figure out, but for those interested: 1/4"x1/4" NPT female coupling and 1/4" barb x1/4" MPT (Watts A-192). You'll also need some teflon tape, gas tubing, a gas disconnect, and some hose clamps, but I had that laying around.

where are these in Lowes? I looked in the air compressor section, but they were not there.

These are clearanced out, so you should check the website to see if they have any in stock. The website said the one in my area had one. I went ahead and went to the store really just to get out of the house (2 kids under 3 and wife home all day on winter break). I had the part number (#82384) and had a sales person check their inventory. It showed they did indeed have one. After searching for a while, I found it. As a bonus, the 20oz CO2 tank they also had clearanced out to $16 (from $20), wouldn't ring up, so they just gave it to me.

Is this an {in store Sale} ? There on line store Say's $89.95 Just curios, as they show stock at my local store for pick-up, I wonder if I should swing by and check the price?? Thanks! Jay

The prices for the regulator and bottles vary by store location. The stores have the ability to set their own prices.

Is this an {in store Sale} ? There on line store Say's $89.95 Just curios, as they show stock at my local store for pick-up, I wonder if I should swing by and check the price?? Thanks! Jay

Back