First all grain heffeweissbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewedBrew

Reaction score
I really like good German weissbier, so I started brewing my own. I've done a few partial grain batches with wheat malt extract and mashing pilsner with munich malt grain. These batches have turned out excellent, but have a slight bitter twang.

So this batch, I tried all grain:
3.5 gallon
5 lb American white wheat
1.75 Munich 10l
.25 Caramunich 60l

I used the same mash technique that I've been using in the past. This time, I was getting lots of stringy gunk during the boil. After chilling, my wort looked like jelly fish were swimming in it. I don't know what this stuff was, and just assumed it is from the wheat? I siphoned the wort to the fermenter through a strainer and tried to avoid the "jellyfish" trub. Before pitching the yeast, a lot more trub settled. Well, now it looks like this:
I've never had this much "junk" in an all grain batch. I've also never used wheat before. Some recipes I've seen with wheat also use rice hulls. Is that to keep this from happening? I know that unfiltered heffe's are cloudy and flaky, but this is really bad.

Do I have a problem here, or is all normal?

SDC11735.jpg

Sounds normal for your grain bill. Wheat is gooky! Is that a word?

It's probably additional hot/cold break due to the added protein from the wheat. Looks good to me!

Thanks! It looks a lot better today. The big chunks are gone. Small flakes are left, like what you would expect in an unfiltered heffe. Can't wait!

Back