HighGravity vs. Electric Brewery System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndak

Reaction score
Looking to take the plunge into electric brewing and I am considering the systems from HighGravity and The Electric Brewery. I am not very handy so I am not looking to build myself. If $$$$ is not part of the equation, is one system better/easier to use than the other? Thank you for all your time.

Vince

Pittsburgh, PA

Haven't used either though my electric HLT uses some of the Electric Brewery's designs. If money was no object I'd go that route.

agreed.

This is a massive simplification, but High Gravity essentially uses a 'dimmer' to scale their heat up and down. This forces you to raise and lower the heating element- fine tuning it over the course of the day. The electric brewery uses PID's which broadly speaking- are a set it and forget it system. That is, you dial in 152 and you should get 152.

If your goal is "boil", then which ever is cheaper is better. If your goal is fine temperature control of your mash, I wouldn't bother with HG. I'm sure guys will stand up and say there system works just fine, but the power of a working PID is the ability to establish consistent temperature every time.

I have a PID controled RIMS tube and I'm still working on it. I have some issues, but I'm all in. I love my gear (all built by me) and wouldn't brew without it.

agreed.

This is a massive simplification, but High Gravity essentially uses a 'dimmer' to scale their heat up and down. This forces you to raise and lower the heating element- fine tuning it over the course of the day. The electric brewery uses PID's which broadly speaking- are a set it and forget it system. That is, you dial in 152 and you should get 152.

If your goal is "boil", then which ever is cheaper is better. If your goal is fine temperature control of your mash, I wouldn't bother with HG. I'm sure guys will stand up and say there system works just fine, but the power of a working PID is the ability to establish consistent temperature every time.

I have a PID controled RIMS tube and I'm still working on it. I have some issues, but I'm all in. I love my gear (all built by me) and wouldn't brew without it.

They have the EBC III out now that does acutally use a couple Auber PID's.

ebc_iii_8_2174_detail.jpg

Well, now they've got something! Not a bad price too ($799) IMO. I think that's going to be pretty popular.

Latest posts

Back