Partial Mash a No-Go.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewzilla

Reaction score
OK...so I have made my inaugural attempt at a partial mash recipe, a pilsner that was somewhat simple. Everything went according to plan but there hasn't been any action in the fermenter and it has been 4+ days since it was racked. Unusual? The only thing I can think of is the yeast sat in the fridge for at least a month (not that it is a bad thing). Could it be a bad yeast batch? Can I repitch? Redo?

Thanks

Jeremy

When you say "4+ days since it was racked," do you mean that it fermented in the primary for some number of days, and then you racked to secondary 4 days ago?

Or has it simply been in the primary for 4 days (since you brewed it)?

Brewzilla said:
It was racked into the primary on Sat 3/11

Got it. I think most folks don't use the termed "racked" that way--that's why I wasn't sure.

I would probably pull a sample and compare the SG to your original SG to confirm that nothing is happening. Assuming nothing is really happening, I'd re-pitch immediately. Do you have some back-up dried yeast on hand?

Did the primary bucket have a good enough seal to allow any activity to show in the airlock? Maybe the gas was escaping elsewhere.

Yes, I must have some lying around. I'll sample the gravity and round up some yeast for a "do-over"

Thanks!:rockin:

Yes the seal is good. I slightly press the plastic cover to check the pressure and it seems right. The environment is good too...I have wheat beer next to it that has been pushing out gas for 4 days solid.

I used whitelabs liquid, no starter, the pitch temp was low 70ish. Can't remember the strain.

Positive about the Pilsner, aerrated very well. I pitched at least 6 hours after refigeration.

Latest posts

Back