Noob problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelvelookslikex

Reaction score
I got all excited after starting my first beer and decided to start on a second one. The problem is I already finished pitching my yeast in the second batch and realized I have only one airlock! The other beer is in a glass carboy and is done fermenting. Could I take off the airlock on that one and stick like a sanitized water cup over it and use the airlock on my new batch?

Yes you could do that, and a lot of other methods would work too. You could just cover the hole on your stopper with some tape, and not fix the stopper tightly in the neck of the carboy.

You could even just rubber band a cloth on top. If fermentation is vigorous, there's nothing to worry about.

You could also maybe if you have the right size house run it into the hole of the bung and the other end into a clean bottle or growler with sanitized water

Yea I was thinking about running a hose but I couldn't find one in my house. I had a few to drink so i don't want to drive to the store.

Back