Cornie Keg Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
How far do all of you disassemble your cornie kegs when you clean them? I have been fully disassembling every little part, cleaning them, sanitizing them, and then reassemble them. But it seems like I am continually fighting leaks after I reassemble everything. The reason I ask is it seems like some of the used kegs I purchased may have NEVER been disassembled. So, how far do all you go?

I take all the posts off, poppets out, lid off, and put them all along with the gas in and liquid out tubes in a sanitized bucket. That's as far as I go, doesn't take to long.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... IOW, I'm lazy.

I don't bother to break down the kegs very often; I use a pump to recirculate PBW through the in/out tubes, as well as spraying down the inside, for about 20 minutes, then rinse and sanitize. No problems yet.

I fill my kegs about 2/3 full with hot water and BLC then replace the lid and give it a good shake. Turn the keg on its side and push open each poppet until liquid comes out. This fills the dip tube and gas in tube. I always let the keg sit 10 minutes upside down and right side up before dumping or pumping to the next keg. While upside down I also open the pressure relief valve till liquid comes out. I then open, rinse copiously then repeat using iodophor. I rarely do a complete rebuild unless I have a leak. When I do tear my kegs down they are always spotless. No build up and the poppets are spotless as well. I always clean and sterilize my ball lock connectors, lines and taps between every keg. I've never had a problem.
Bill

I've had my out tube stuck with pellet hops so I always take off both posts and give them a quick soak with StarSan, can't take more than 2 minutes.

I just rinse, scrub if needed, and re-sanitize. I'll scrub if there's yeast gunk inside around the bottom or on the sides. I also spray water down the out tube to clear it of any debris. Then sanitize and fill.

I keep thinking one day I'll take them all apart again and clean them again, but for now I only do that when I first get a keg.

I take them apart once in a while.

Otherwise I use the Corny/Sanke/Carboy washer mentioned earlier :)

That thing rawks! Plug it in, watch the foam :D

Bottom right:
DSC_9284.JPG

In action:
IMG00118-20100410-1149.jpg

Who said anything about cheap?!? :drunk:

I finally broke down and bought the $100 one at Menards.

Otherwise you'll probably just have to watch CL

I just made a very simple and effective washer I saw in an old Zymurgy magazine 1994 or so...hooking a pump up two two beverage lines. Take your cleaner (your choice) with a gallon of hot water and pour into your keg. Seal and run lines opposite of the usual...in to in on the pump and out to out on the pump...turn over onto two carboy cleaner (blue) holders so the lines are free and run the pump for 10-20 minutes. This will clean anything out including the poppets, etc. Rinse in the same way and finally with a sanitizer. You are now ready to put something tasty back into the keg!

I take them apart once in a while.

Otherwise I use the Corny/Sanke/Carboy washer mentioned earlier :)

That thing rawks! Plug it in, watch the foam :D

Bottom right:
DSC_9284.JPG

In action:
IMG00118-20100410-1149.jpg

Holy sheep dip! That keg washer looks like something out of an "I Love Lucy" episode. :D

Back