Mash out question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
this week I am going to do my first all grain brew. I have been reading up on it and watching videos on youtube. My questions is about the mash out? After I have my mash in for approx an hour do I then drain the wort and then add the mash out water or do I add my mash out water to the mashtun with my mash in water and drain it all at one time?? I know I didn't word that well...hopefully someone can understand and help out! thanks!

My questions is about the mash out? After I have my mash in for approx an hour do I then drain the wort and then add the mash out water or do I add my mash out water to the mash-tun with my mash in water and drain it all at one time??

You can do it that way with 2 equal hotter sparges. 1 sparge at 185F and the second one at 170F. Be sure to stir and recirculate. Only collect the pre-boil volume needed.

If you Fly sparge and have the room in your mash-tun you can slowly add boiling water while stirring until you reach 170F. Recirculate and sparge with 170F water. Only collect the pre-boil volume needed.

If your mash-tun is almost full then you need to do a decoction of part of the mash liquid only and bring that liquid to a boil and add as needed while stirring to the mash-tun to reach 170F. Recirculate and sparge with 170F water. Only collect the pre-boil volume needed.

Another opinion---
I heat my mash up to around 175, then transfer to the lauter tun to sparge with about 175 degree water. But, I use a pot to heat the mash up, then use a cooler for the mash tun. If you are doing it in one vessel, I would crank the heat up and add hot water to the mash vessel to reach about 175, then start sparging.

I'm glad you asked this question. My concern before I do my first AG is if i have my procedure down right. Does it basically go like this 1) Mash 2) Vorlauf 3) Drain mash water to pot 3) Close valve, add sparge water and let settle 4) Vorlauf again 5) drain to pot and start boiling?

Add the mash-out water to the mash before draining. Stir well, wait ten minutes (or however long it takes to heat your sparge water), drain, and sparge.

Back