Carbing with dry ice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper77

Reaction score
I saw a post about using dry ice to make applejack and that got me wondering if anyone has ever used dry ice to fast carb a kegged beer? Looking back at my youth I made ALOT of dry ice bombs. It's relatively cheap around here and you can make your own very easily. Of course their is always the fear of over carbing it. I assume unless their is a proven ballpark amount of dry ice to add to the keg you would have to do it slowly. I assume it would rapidly cool the beer while carbing? Sounds intriguing

Makes me ashamed to say it, but I can't believe I never thought about this! I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work if you kept the ice to the correct amount. Some simple math should tell you how much to put into the bottle and you never have to worry about it becoming over carbed (RIP my dear midnight wheat).

Kegging on the other hand, there are a few pros and cons I can think of off the top of my head.

Pros:
*You could get it down to an exact amount. Then you'd never have to worry about over carb like some people get when hooking to cylinders.
*Easier than messing with your setup to be able to force carb.

Cons:
*Not as easy to add more gas if you come up short.
*Do be very careful though because you definitely don't want to create a bomb out of a keg!

There is a safety valve on kegs so it would really take some effort to blow one of those through the ceiling. Plus, if it gets overcarbed you could just blow off some of the pressure. I say go for it and take pictures!

I it comes up short just hook the gas up. If this works it'll be awesome! Drinking cold and carbed beer a few minutes after kegging it!

Edit

I wouldn't even think of trying this in bottles. I've made so many plastic dry ice bombs I would hate to see glass shrapnel embedded in the walls in my garage. I'm at the HBS now so ill ask them if they've ever heard of it

I've thought of this, but always wondered if dry ice is sterile or at least sanitary enough. How is it made? By releasing (and compressing) CO2 gas into some sort of canvas bag?

There have been threads discussing this in the past, and the consensus is that it's a bad idea. To carb a keg with dry ice, you'd be adding all of the CO2 to the beer at once. It would turn from solid to gas way faster than it would be absorbed into the beer, meaning the headspace would have to hold nearly the same amount of pressure as it would take to carb the keg in one blast. Hopefully the pressure relief valve would function properly and you'd just spray beer and CO2 all over the room instead of dealing with an exploding keg.

There's a guy here who's successfully carbed with dry ice in PET soda bottles. The trick is to cap the bottle and start shaking it extremely vigorously as soon as the dry ice is added. The shaking helps the beer absorb the gas so that the pressure doesn't get too high. You need to shake it very hard for several minutes or the pressure will build up until it explodes. I doubt the strongest person I know is capable of shaking a full 5 gal keg vigorously enough for 5 minutes straight.

There are much safer, easier, cheaper methods of carbonating, and I'm not sure I see any benefit of using dry ice. If you want fast carbonation with no risk of overcarbonation, buy a carb stone.

Back